Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Intercom advice / recommendations

Mole

I want to install an intercom system, but being the proud owner of a useful accessory called a windscreen, I don't want the type designed to be fitted in a helmet. I want to use the type of headset usually used with telephones, mobile phones and computers (slimline, 1 or 2 earpieces and boom mike).

The problem is that there seems to be a compatability problem with the connectors. Most intercom systems use either 3.5mm minijacks or DIN plugs, most headsets use 2.5mm minijacks (for mobiles), 2 x 3.5 minijacks (for PC soundcards) or RJ45 (for telephones). I don't want to use the bulky practice headsets that are available for some rallying intercoms.

Does anyone know of anything that meets the spec.? *confused*

SV 52 CAT - can moles fly - you bet!

Although I understand why you want a lightweight set, the Terrtrip with the practice headsets do work fantastically well. They have a noise cancelling mike, which is essential, and they do cut out most of the noise, which whilst being a lot of the fun of owning a 7, is very wearing on a long run. If you do find a lightweight headset that fits the bill, do put out a posting 'cos we'd all be interested!

Best of luck

• Area Representative

I use the Autocom set and have both the helmet and practice headsets. Both work brilliantly although the helmets ones are slightly flawed by using them in my flipfront helmets.

IIRC the problem with lightweight headsets where the earpiece sits on the ear (as opposed to the practice headset completely encompassing the ear) is one of background noise and stability. The hard shell on the practice headset reduces the background noise levels tremendously whereas the lightweight headsets do little to stop it. Likewise, at speed the lightweight units will start to move off your ears unlike the practice ones that stay firmly in place at "higher" motorway speeds - even with a windscreen on, although I do use the wind deflectors instead of doors most of the time.

Autocom do a cheaper lightweight headset in their range but when I enquired about them and explained what car I was using them in, they said they really wouldn't be suitable due to the unacceptable noise quality. It is pricey kit but the quality is excellent and it caters for the different plug sizes for each item with appropriate leads.

Cheers

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

Mole, I doubt you will find that which you seek... assuming you want to use it in a Seven (with or without windscreen). Since your real problem is wind, either noise or drag!

I have the Autocom system, with both a practise head set and their separate speaker/mic set up, which I have installed into my crash hat.

The later is truly wonderful, regardless of whether my visor is up or down and, with either, it is possible to programme your mobile phone to self answer also if your are listening to music, it will pause the former in favour of an coming call.

Thus, whilst blating for England, the phone rings once and there you are, online chatting to the misses!

The important part of their system is the voice activate mic, which is designed to remove all surrounding sounds.

So efficient is this, that on a business trip earlier in the week I phoned home to say I was on my way back... my wife beat me to the punch and asked if I was about to leave, oblivious to the fact that I was screaming through the gears, back out on the open road and on my way home.

The dinky system you seek might exist but I would doubt that it will stay in location whilst sevening or be sufficiently sensitive to over ride background sound.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine