Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Suitable 7 Toolkit

BrianHorn

Hi All

Well I still have the Caterham bag/sack that the jack came in, do they still do them 🤔 (The jacks just loose in the boot).

This is filled with odds and ends. I do not carry the socket set box I just put them in a clear plastic bag loads more room. Room is important in my boot as I have the big 11 or is it 12 gallon tank. 🤔

At the end of the day your not going to fix much at the side of the road. Track days a carrier bag with a few more bits in.

Spares are more important. Plugs, throttle and clutch cables. Old hand cleaner plastic tin full of Bulbs, a good few fuses its not a lot of good only having one of each and a good collection of crimp wire ends etc. Small roll of spare wire any colour. Tape, cable ties and locking wire. Spare tops for the carb jets and gaskets. Insulation tape.

So what do I NEED to go with this lot that's in the bag........

Plug socket, T bar, ratchet, socket bars one with a 19 mm socket already fitted for my wheel nuts, long nose pliers, wire cutters, small set of fit the car alan keys.... one shortened to fit the gear box oil filler. A couple of spanners cut to length to get at the oil line fixings and a 12" adjustable, jaws covered in insulating tape for them as well. Feeler gauges and small brush for the plugs. Crimper tool for the wiring.

Couple of washers and stumpy screw driver to undo the nose cone. Just a few 1/4 and 3/8 drive bits, the small sized sockets are with the bulbs. Circlip pliers for the speedo drive, never needed since I did not have them one day. Carb balancer, mine is the small Weber original and a couple of screwdrivers plus stumpy and long Philips screw drivers. Roll of spanners. A BIG MAGNALIGHT TORCH and as ever a small jack. Goggles.

Think that's the lot most likely I have missed something. Sounds a lot but it they take up little room. Now all of the above easily fits in the space behind the raised boot floor for the tank. The remainder has helmet and wet weather gear if required.

Always remember if you use a spanner or alan key often and its too long to fit easily; then cut it to length and buy another. 1 minutes with an angle grinder saves loads of time.... again and again, do not forget to grind the cut end round *eek*. Oh one other thing, not that I keep it in my car, a chain filter remover with the chain cut to length saves loads of messing about.

MOST importantly THE RAC CARD with get you home service......... *thumbup*

What have I used most in 15 years.... plug spanner, feeler gauges, wire brush, carb balancer, bits for wheel nuts, crimper, and screwdrivers . That's more than using the sockets, spanners and the RAC card 😬 *confused*

What's actually failed that I could fix on the spot.... well wiring, carbs, plugs and the cables. Very rarely the odd loose bit. I suppose I should, but I do not have a spare alternator belt never have... think I will buy one *biggrin*

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Hi Steve

I only used tyre goo once needed a new tyre afterwards........... that was the tin top. They could not repair it afterwards. Life may have changed 🤔 5 wheels on my car 😬

Mobile YES

AA .... Shame on you the AA did not get involved in motor racing 😬 😬 😬

might be wrong 🤔

Now irrelavent its all MSA now.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.