Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Suitable 7 Toolkit

BrianHorn

Morning all,

I want to buy (read need) to buy a comprehensive toolkit (suitable for use on the seven) in a case which would be suitable for carrying in the 'boot' of said seven.

Any suggestions 🤔 ie do Draper or somebody do such a thing or dare I say, should I be looking at something a little more upmarket 🤔

What do you use 🤔

Brian

'The Wizard' is a 1989 de Dion SuperSprint in Red with Silver stripe..

• Support Team

Brian,

People will probably laugh, but i bought a kit from Halfords which comes in a zip up case the size of a large File-O-Fax. It cost £20 and contains the following:

- Screwdriver with every bit imaginable

- 3/8" sockets set - not massively useful but handy for some stuff

- pliers

- large adjustable spanner

- zip ties

- insulating tape

- electrical screwdriver

- feeler gauges

and some other stuff I can't remember. The only thing I would add is a second adjustable spanner (you always need 2 ) and maybe a stubby screwdriver for the Dzus fasteners on the nosecone.

I strap this to the rollbar inside the boot using a velcro strap (also from Halfords) so it doesn't slide around.

Hope this helps,

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

must say that the 20 quid halfords kit is a horrible waste of money. in a year or so you'll buy a few more sockets, a few more spanners etc etc and eventually you end up spending 250 quid to get something that you can get from halfords for 100 quid in a single heavy duty plastic case...

so - thanks for the 20 quid tool kit 5 years ago dad - its cost me an extra 150 quid

or something *wink*

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

• Support Team

I did not suggest the Halfords kit as a starting point for a toolkit - it is definitely NOT that. It is however a very useful thing to keep in the car if you don't want to keep a bag of your usual tools in there. Given the good chance of it being nicked you don't want any of your good/expensive tools in there.

If you want a good complete tool kit for the garage then that is an entirely different issue and I'm sorry for getting the wrong end of the stick.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Wow! Nobody at work today then 🤔 😬

Thanks to all who posted helpful hints. Thanks to others who made me chuckle

Shaun, You got the right end of the stick! I was looking for exactly that. A toolkit which I could carry in the boot in case of emergencies. Not a whole workshop!

Cheers Guys, Happy Sevening

Brian

'The Wizard' is a 1989 de Dion SuperSprint in Red with Silver stripe..

Brian

I don't think that you will get a comprehensive toolkit of the shelf, but Halfords will get you as close as anybody.

I have a leather A4 zipped dockument holder behind my seat (I've got little legs). First thing is to decide what jobs/repairs you are capable of and which of those you could do beside the road without towing the garage bench and toolchest, then work though the jobs mentally trying spanners, sockets allen keys, screwdrivers as you go. It'll take you about 2hrs and you will end up with a buy list which you can fill with some decent kit.

Good way to pass the time if you manage to escape to the garage for some peace and quite.

Paul M.

Brian - Dont go too mad with regards price. My brother had a decent toolkit in his Caterham and had it Knicked whilst in a pub at Framlingham by a group of max power types in a grotty fiesta XR2. As usual the police were not interested because theiving is not a proper crime like exceeding the speed limit by 5 mph. actual comment `well you`ve had that havent you!` If you get a kit get one that can be bolted in or that you can afford to lose.

Sorry but Just another observation, If you do put a tool kit in the boot,make sure it is padded or fixed so that it cant slide around,The last thing you want after a spirited blat is to arrive home to find your ali dented all the way around the boot from the inside.

You have to admit that Tetleys to Bolly is a definite upgrade. Mind you the last time I had 5 pints of bolly and a curry it went very wrong.

I have long hankered after a flat, slim toolbox in the passenger footwell. This could house all the tools and spares and the passy could put their feet on it. It would bolt in and lock, and be filled with 7/16, 1/2 and 9/16 spanners, also 8,10,13,14 and 17mms and a little skt set. One adjustable nut wrecker, couple of screwies, few cable ties etc, bingo. These are all available cheap or can be cobbled together from the selection of old spanners in the shed. 'Course a custom box would need the full matching set of Britools, racked out with foam so they didn't rattle. Dream on.

A spare clutch cable can be lashed to a chassis rail under the bonnet.

'Course you can build a box under the bonnet too, for the heater shelf.

• Support Team

Pat - Cheers, I won't take it personally.

Upgrading to Bolly on the other hand sounds like a great idea 😬 although not sure if I could manage 5 pints of the stuff *eek*.

As for the tools, I really think that putting expensive tools in the car is asking for trouble. I had my Seven "broken into" a couple of weeks ago - they left my £20 tools and just nicked the house keys that I had foolishly left in there. I'm pretty sure a set of Snap-On would have disappeared. Cost me a new set of locks for the house though ☹️.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

As with any car, but especially one that does not have locks, don't leave anything tin there that you don't mind losing!

I might have a look at this Halfrauds tool kit as the one I carry does contain most of the tools that I use regularly and some that I would object to losing - incl a snap-on hex drive for the crankshaft pulley - nobody else did AF hex drives for a 3/8" ratchet drive.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!