Click here if you are having website access problems ×

PSI

jimc

Just had 4 new Yoko A021R's (185/70 R13) stuck on each corner of my '93 X/Flow. Thanks to both George Polley and Towcester Tyres for fast and cheap service. Anyway, what psi should I be running? All have 22psi at the moment.

I run them at 20psi, because that is what it says in the build manual. I have not tried reducing them as this could, possibly, cause problems with insurance if you have an accident. No doubt the track day users would run lower pressures to compensate for the higher tyre temperatures.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

• Support Team

Ah but does the manual say 20psi cold or 20psi hot - I'm guessing it doesn't specify. For optimum grip you probably want between 20 and 22 psi HOT. That's why trackday users start with lower pressures so that once the tyres heat up then they are the right pressure - this should be checked immediately after a session and adjusted. On the road it's unlikely that you'll often get your tyres up to track temperatures so the starting pressures could be a little higher to reach 20-22 psi hot. I tend to start with 17-18psi cold and that gets to 20-22psi hot depending on track and conditions. I'm not very experienced at track days so haven't really experimented that much. I haven't changed the pressures for road use either so I could be running a little low - never run out of grip yet though 😬.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32