Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine Management

Swiss_Tony

The Webber Alpha is a bit dated in design compared to the stuff out there now.

If you are going to injection the Jenvey/MBE or DTA solution is the best performance/value

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Slow Old Vauxhall wink.gif

My DTA was a plug in, map and forget solution that did a 6000 mile endurance a few weeks after fitting and has since done 2 sprints, 8 track days and about 3000 road mile with no problems. It's easy to tweek if I ever wanted to and the PC link diagnostics page is great for showing off with lots of changing numbers and a real time rev counter!

It also has on-board launch control although I've never fitted the speed sensor required for this. QED supplied the unit and loom. Fitting was pretty straight forward.

Alex

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

_________

/ /

___ _/______ /_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) \/ /

/___/--_________/--/___/

Edited by - Alex Wong on 18 Feb 2001 23:47:05

The Alpha is old technology but it is pre-programmed fit and forget, four wires and a potentiometer and you're away.

Other options do give future upgradability to fuel injection but they have to be mapped and they can be tweaked to your hearts content with a PC if you know what you're doing.

The Alpha can also be tweaked but only by Weber agents and I suspect can control the Weber PI system with suitable software.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Alex, does you web site still say something to the effect off, I recommend John Noble who finally mapped my fuel injection when others had failed?

This may be the crux of the choice. The Weber works. The others work when and if you can get them mapped properly. It obviously can be done but do you want the expense and hassle

Edited by - stewartg on 18 Feb 2001 23:56:31

Edited by - stewartg on 19 Feb 2001 00:02:03

Not sure what you're getting at Stewart. I would highly recommend John Noble to anyone wanting to get a DTA ignition unit mapped on a rolling road. My engine failure was due to an oil delivery problem and prolonged running at over 7000rpm (more than 5 minutes non stop). I continued to run his map after the engine was rebuilt with no problems.

Alex

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

_________

/ /

___ _/______ /_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) \/ /

/___/--_________/--/___/

James,

The main reason it failed was that I held my foot flat on the floor at over 7200rpm for over 5 minutes, flat in 5th going round a 60deg banked oval. The engine should have stood this but it didn't stand a chance due to an oiling problem caused bits of an old disintegrated baffle blocking various oil channels. There we're a few other anomolies which may or may not have contributed. I'd rather not elaborate on these as I'm not sure if they did contribute to the failure. Still, it all got fixed!

My engine was wet sumped but part of the current upgrade includes dry sumping.

Alex

Edited by - Alex Wong on 19 Feb 2001 23:28:00

The Weber Alpha system is NOT old technology. It was completely revised last year and is less expensive than most alternatives. Other systems that we have used include DTA and Emerald, both with good results. The Weber is the easiest to fit though.

Good luck with the bank manager is you're going to use Zytec - this is top end stuff for people with no budget limitation!

Edited by - roger king on 20 Feb 2001 09:32:15

What is the difference between these systems from an ignition only point of view?

How does one system differ from another ie 3d mapping?

Roger how was the weber alpha?

The reason for looking at the weber system was the minimal wiring. Not through lazyness but I like the old look of my 7 and did not want a lot of extra wiring to clutter things under the bonnet. Also I was hoping to hide the ecu box somewhere under the dash or under the heater area if poss.

Thanks James

James, you might struggle finding a place to fit the Alpha box under the dash as it is rather big. I tried for some time but gave up in the end and mounted it under a specially made aluminium cover alongside the heater. I have no complaints about the Alpha 3D system, found it easy to fit, a neat loom and very cost effective. smile.gif

Brent