Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vauxhall flywheel/input-shaft-bearing

Marius

So, I just received the roller-bearing which has to be fitted into the middle of the vuxhall-flywheel to keep the gearbox-input-shaft in place. Fitting won´t be a problem now BUT ...... does it have to be put in in a certain way?? The inside of the bearing is not equally, on one side of the bearing there´s about 1.5mm more outer-shell than on the other side. So which side put in first ?????

Marius

The ligthweight bloke in a slow Vauxhall with a lot of stupid questions

Marius,

Things went better than expected and engine is more or less fully built.......

The roller bearing goes in the back of the crank with the wide gap (which contains an oil seal if you look closely) facing towards the gearbox. The seal retains the grease which lubes this bearing inside the end of the crank, and prevents it contaminating your clutch.

Also I have it on good authority (Swindon) that bolts such as big neds main caps and cyl head do NOT need to be replaced every time you rebild an engine. If the rebuilds are at lowish mileages it is only necessary to change the bolts every 3 or 4 cycles.

So you could save money there......

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Slow Old Vauxhall wink.gif

Edited by - fast arnie on 18 Feb 2001 17:05:03

Edited by - fast arnie on 18 Feb 2001 17:05:28

Had a look at it again: on one side of the inner part of the bearing there´s a kind of rubber-lip placed, so I have to choose between placing the lip towards the crank or towards the input-shaft. All the markings of the bearing are on the side where the rubber-lip is, too.

Arnie, what did you do to your XE to achieve the gain from 285+ across the holy 300bhp border ???????

Marius

Nothing. No power increase. Was going to go to 2.4 litres but this has to use the alloiy block which I understand is not very good. Also the 94mm stroke cranks are big nasty heavy things fit for 8500rpm max. Why downgrade????

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Slow Old Vauxhall wink.gif