Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Only one tyre has melted rubber after Snetterton

Bilbo

Hi All and suspension Guru's in particular

Following a very nice day out with the club 2 weeks ago at Snetterton, I have noticed that the front nearside AO32 tyre has LOADS of melted rubber.

Now normally after a track day they are all like this and fairly even. However, they are not melted THAT much.

So this tyre was working harder than the other 3 and was always hotter after a run.

Now the cars flat floored for me only but Oily Rag was in the passenger seat. This does not normally make that much difference to the tyres heating up. I could tell Oily Rag he's getting FAT 😬 but that's not true.

Now every track is different so some tyres work harder than other.

So do I put it down to Snetterton track and say Riches corner/ first bend on the Esses or should I get it flat floored again 🤔 Then gin the number of left and right hand bends are about even in number but I was going faster on the right hand bends making the front offside work a lot harder.

I did set the suspension a lot harder than normal on the last session this worked and finally I was starting to keep up.

So any thoughts.......... 🤔

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Hi Mick

Well they regularly melt on track days. Please note this one tyre was always VERY hot. I DO expect them ALL to have melted dribbles of rubber on track days 😬 😬 😬. However not it's normally this much just loads of little dribbles. In this case its 60% of the tyre bits say 5 x 30 mm now run back into the tyre. They stick up over 1mm. Now this normally happens with the little dribbles.

The fact its just one that concerns me ............... *confused*

I agree you can pick rubber up running off line but not to this extent, unless your on soft slicks.

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Hi Paul

"You picked up race rubber"

I think that not the problem its too much all over, this tyre was getting VERY hot with regard to the other 3. Running off line would have picked up some rubber on the off side rear as well........

"but you're probably still a hero" *confused* I am just looking for advice, I am not saying fastest RATHER quite the opposite on the day...........

If the cars is unbalanced I would expect this effect.......

Well off line for the rest of the evening its feed the animals time..... Thats ME 😬

Thanks all

The tyre was not over inflated Oily Rag had been checking the pressures with my nice new shiny pressure gauge, I suspose that the fact it was running the hotest just made it more prone to pick up rubber. It was a couple of psi higher but it was hotter than the others. The rest were all within a psi of each other this one after the last 2 runs was another psi.

All were the same at the start of the day.

Still that still means it was working more then again Riches is a very fast courner say 95/100 mph *smile*. Well after I got use to the track lots of other cars were going faster. I will try harder next time 😬

Arriving late missing 2 sessions and never having been there before made me err VERY slow until the afternoon.

Hi Hoopy *smile*

Well I normally start at 18 psi then they move up to 21 to 22 psi if they go higher then I drop the pressure.

This time out seem to remember between 20 and 20.5 and 22 psi for the front nearside, cold now they are all the same again.

This rather shows one was working harder.

that's why you mod the temps when hot on the track - you want all tyres at their optimum ie about 22 psi. if one is at 20 its not working very hard so needs more pressure to get it to 22 psi hot.

the next step up is to measure the temps across the tyre and then use camber and presuure to get the temps even accross the tyre at whatever the manufacturer recommends...

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

Hi Mick

Well I have not bought a tyre temperature gauge. Sufficient to say it was warm, warme,r warmest and Ouch 😬

Looks like something for my Christmas wish list

ARE YOU READING THIS OILY RAG

Nothing like a subtle father to son hint *wink*

Hi Hoopy

Yes I agree but that does depend on the fact that the cars set up level. You also need to lap consistently.

Yes I should have put more air in or let some out of the high one. Normally I am happy if they are all within a psi of each other.

In fact this as stated earlier normally happens