Click here if you are having website access problems ×

moose loose

Mrs Mav

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

......unless you're a glass etcher *wink*

Hydrofluoric (HF) acid, one of the strongest inorganic acids, is used mainly for industrial purposes (eg, glass etching, metal cleaning, electronics manufacturing). HF acid also may be found in home rust removers. Exposure usually is accidental and often is due to inadequate use of protective measures.

HF acid burns are a unique clinical entity. Dilute solutions deeply penetrate before dissociating, thus causing delayed injury and symptoms. Burns to the fingers and nail beds may leave the overlying nails intact.

Severe burns occur after exposure of concentrated (ie, 50% or stronger solution) HF acid to 1% or more body surface area (BSA), exposure to HF acid of any concentration to 5% or more BSA, or inhalation of HF acid fumes from a 60% or stronger solution. The vast majority of cases involve only small areas of exposure, usually on the digits.

Pathophysiology: The 2 mechanisms that cause tissue damage are corrosive burn from the free hydrogen ions and chemical burn from tissue penetration of the fluoride ions.

Fluoride ions penetrate and form insoluble salts with calcium and magnesium. Soluble salts also are formed with other cations but dissociate rapidly. Consequently, fluoride ions release, and further tissue destruction occurs.

Mortality/Morbidity:

Local effects include tissue destruction and necrosis. Burns may involve underlying bone.

Systemic fluoride ion poisoning from severe burns is associated with hypocalcemia, hyperkalemia, hypomagnesemia, and sudden death.

Deaths have been reported from concentrated acid burns to as little as 2.5% BSA.

Sex: Males are affected more commonly

We used to use muriatic acid to clean drains when I lived in Bermuda *eek* We used machetes to cut down the tall grass 😳 When I returned to the UK, I went into the local hardware store and asked for these items .........they looked at me as if I were Dr Crippen 😬

FH *cool*

Edited by - fullharness on 2 Sep 2003 11:27:08

*eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek*

*eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek*

Rrrrrrrrrross!

In my uni days .... what back when ... we used Hydrofluoric acid and Perchloric acid when dissolving rocks for spectral analysis ... one chap emptied a flask of the stuff down the sink and promptly dissolved the drains *eek*

My Moosheep is not going to be dissolved today *cool*

S713UMY

1.8K Viper Blue and Black