Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1700 X flow Problems

Lee Levy

Please can any one help, about july last year Texaco suppied me with contaminated fuel, at the time i did not know this and with the large amount of whit smoke the exhaust was producing i sent the car to a local mechanic (working away at the time and wanted to use it ASAP).

The car had the head skimmed and new head gasket fitted. The tank was drain and carbs cleaned out, and it was then re-tuned and set up on a rolling road.

Due to the bad weather on the weekends the car has not been out much since November, and has been increasingly had to start. The last time i went out (last Sunday) i noticed the temp gauge up around the 100 mark which is very rare, and the car was running like a bag of bolts on tick over(fine abouve 2500 rpm). I have had a look today and the exhaust has started blowing the white smoke and the oil is rapidly coming out of the crank breather pipe and filling the catch tank.There is also a small amount of water evident in the head breather.

Any one have any ideas, before i attack the bloody thing with a sledge hamer.

Lee - A13LML@AOL.com

I am afraid that John E is probably right. I suggest that you get it compression tested. If this is OK, you should do a 'block test'. This is a chemical test of the cooling water to look for combustion contamination - if you fail this you definitely have a problem.

Without wishing to ruin your day, it is possible that you have a cracked head or block. This can give similar symptoms to a blown head gasket and can sometimes be the result of detonation caused by substandard fuel.