Click here if you are having website access problems ×

temps

Dave Barrow

hardly worthy of a tech question but as a new owner can anyone advise as to what can i expect for engine temperature in stop start traffic. My oil remained about 80 but water started creeping towards 110 deg 10 off the red turned the heater on full to help ooch. oh and it's an 1800 supersport. *confused*

Not wishing to hijack your thread, but I am experiencing similar problems when the ambient air temperature is higher. I can't hear the fan kicking in above 90 degrees and wondered if there were any obvious things to look for? How difficult would it be to wire the fan straight to a dash switch?

Had a recent burnt feet moment while stuck in slow moving traffic on A12 *eek*

• Support Team

The fan switch is not particularly reliable and is less than £10 from Caterham so I would suggest replacing that first. If you want you can also wire the fan to a dashboard switch for manual override. The fan switch simply makes the circuit so you can wire a dash switch to the two fan switch connections.

High water temperatures are not uncommon when the ambient temperature is high, especially when stuck in traffic. The standard Caterham gauge is also not that accurate. If you do a lot of driving in traffic or do trackdays then you may eventually want to uprate the cooling system, usually with a higher capacity radiator. Caterham do an aluminium road radiator and a triple pass race radiator. There are alternatives and I use a Radtec radiator which has proved very effective.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

ditto shaun's comments, and you may want to consider a cooler thermostat. get the fan switch sorted first. a rover GTS 1102 thermostat is 76-78C vs 86-88C that Caterham supply. makes the coolant flow come on quicker. you may also need to flush/replenish your coolant. check the FAQ for the comma version right for your car

Steve B

Faster than the Speed of Dark Join us on the USA 2005 tour......HERE