Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

VHPD Head off - how much coolant out

c21vhpd

I have to take the head off my VHPD (cam tensioner pulley broke, belt came off, no compression on any cylinder ☹️).

Having only just put new coolant in, I was wondering if I could just get away with draining off some of it. How much, or should I just drain the whole lot.

BTW, being a 21, it's hard to save the coolant, as the rad is horizontal, and you have to take the bonnet off to get good access to the drain plug. The only truely successful technique I've employed in the past is to aqua-vac the whole lot out *smile*

Honda Passion Orange, 640kg *eek*, and proud of it *smile*

Do you mean that the head only retains that much, or that I might as well just resign myself to loosing all but 1/3 litre.

As for the head - well, hopefully I've only got some bent valves to replace, but if it's worse than that, I'll stop the ambulance and we'll have a chat :)

Head comes off?... time for Rings and Bearings :-)

Don't believe it? well in a few K miles you WILL be doing those, whether you want to or not.

Lots easier to do it all 'right' the first time.. But as always the Choice is Yours :-).

do it all 'right' the first time
No need - did a full bottom end rebuild 5000 miles ago, and then again when I had the block converted to an Evo2 by Scholar.

The pistons look OK - Very lightly marked, but it looks like the impact energy all went into the valves.

Numerous valves are bent, showing an amusing (I'm laughing about it now, but wasn't at the time) amount of daylight when they're supposed to be shut, and number 4 exhaust valves aren't moving at all, so I guess the springs are broken.

Oilyhands has kindly agreed to supervise me rebuilding the head at his place, and V7SLR is offering lots of shimming advice as well. In such capable hands, what can go wrong *smile*

Edited by - c21vhpd on 31 Aug 2003 15:27:55