Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Headlamps

Tony Martyr

Tony

I have 150w main/130w dipped bulbs (illegal) and they work fine, although my car has a 1993 wiring loom which may use thicker cable than the 1996 on cars. The only thing to change if using bulbs of this type are the plugs which fit onto the backs of the bulbs as the std plastic ones melt. you can get these plugs made from a composite material instead of plastic which withstands the heat OK.

Needless to say with these bulbs the lamps are very good.

If power consumption is an issue for the loom I have fitted Halfords Xenon bulbs into my road cars (cuase I got used to the Sevens lights!!!) and they are vastly better - they claim 30% more lumens and I belive them. These are still 55/60w

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Slow Old Vauxhall wink.gif

Arnie.

I fitted these to my BMW & they lasted no more than a month! I put it down to the extra heat created, 'cos the bulbs were blackened!!!

PS Yes, I did make sure that I didn't touch the glass when fitting them (thereby eliminating the grease causing a hot spot etc etc).

PPS These were fitted for winter work and I do travel about 1100 miles per week!!!

Chris,

I've got H4's and H1's in my Range rover - no problem in 1 yr, and in my Fiat (Coupe not Multipla) H1's for 6 mnths no problem.

Maybe a BMW can detect non OE parts????? (Tee Hee)

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Slow Old Vauxhall wink.gif

Arnie.

I think it's more to do with the long 'on' time during the winter & that heat build up!

OK, having a V/X 7 is one thing, but admitting to having a "Fix It Again Tony" is another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James.

The std lights are OK, but with all the c..p ie dirt/salt etc the vis is cut somewhat. Thinking about it, the dirt may have influenced the heat by acting as a shield, yes ?

I tried those Halfords 30% brighter bulbs in my Scooby. No difference at all. I even put one of the original bulbs back in and got a friend to see if he could tell which bulb was which. After much squatting and squinting he had to guess, and he got it wrong.