Click here if you are having website access problems ×

revved up

metal mickey

Hi Everbody,

Started the 7 this morning after 4/5 weeks of it not running.

The engine (zetec) started easily and idle's well but does not want to rev up quickly - the engine revs then tries to die off!

If i build the revs up gradually all seems to be fine, I suspect

a fuel problem and have checked the fuel pump and filter and they seem fine. The cars running on 45 webers, anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

Had a similar problem with the outboard on my ski boat. It was sticky floats/needles in the chambers, but I would have thought that after 5/6 weeks yours shouldn't do that! Mine had been drained for the winter and still there was enough residue to create a problem.

It does sound very fuel related. If all the temp and pressures look good, can't you just leave it to idle and see if the heat warms/dries/unsticks something ? Doesn't sound very technical does it, but it may have the desired effect.

The moral of the story is:- Use the car more often!(Or at least run 'er up) I've known clutches seize in less time in this damp/crappy weather.

Was that because it was a two stroke and all of the fuel had evaporated. Common issue with outboards that do not have oil injection. There must be something else on the Zetec. Maybe a sticking throttle linkage. This can be caused with water ingress into the cable. A good dosing with WD40 is called for.

Sounds like it may be the accelarator pump on the carbs not pumping fuel.

If you remove the air filters and pump the throttle you should see fuel pumped out from the middle of the carbs. (assuming the float chambers are full). Each choke should do this. This could be the jets blocked.

It may also be the float stuck on one carb.

It could also be ignition related but less likely.(ht leads etc)

Good luck James