Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Exhausts Again

Matt Shears

I know the topic of upgrading exhaust systems comes up time and time again on Blatchat and there is a lot of helpful information to be found

but.......... with a new house pending my budget is perhaps less than it could be (eg. blowing a grand + on an R500 system) and therefore I would be interested to know what suggestions you may have for a replacement to my standard, knackered exhaust.

My car is a 1.8 VVC, I would like a 4-2-1 system + the can. So far I have thought about the Caterham system which is £595 + VAT, to keep the cost down I probably fit it myself. I have also looked at the Powerspeed system, which now seems to have a neater finish than it has previously and would cost £550 fitted with no VAT to add.

Any observations / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Thanks Chaps.

Fred, is it fair to say you would not buy another Caterham system?

I've heard lots of good things about the Raceco can, I know they are quite expensive but it seems like it could be worth it. Have you got one Rob, if so who made the rest of the system?

Does anyone out there have experience of combining a Powerspeed manifold with a Raceco can? Alternatively, I could try the Powerspeed system with a 7" silencer which would keep the price down.

wrt 4-2-1, don't forget the new emissions rules for MOT if you're thinking of ditching the cat...It can be difficult to fit a 4-2-1 long primary manifold, silencer and a cat along the side of the car...

Matt

I have the Powerspeed system and I am very pleased with it, Dave from PS fitted it on the car, making it whilst I waited to ensure that it was a perfect fit...

The finish is good also, which I know on the originals was not the case, but they have improved the method of welding and I have had several Cat owners ask me where it came from as it looked good.

You do not mention age of your 7, I do not have/need a Cat on my vehicle - did you make yours or was it factory???

Gary

Tweaked 1.6kSupersport

I've a 4-2-1 manifold and Powerspeed 6" repackable box which is quieter and lighter than the Caterham 7" box it replaced - looks a sight better too! It did need a little tweak to the intage pipe angle when fitting, but cost was more than covered by the VAT saving from Powerspeed.

Gary

My car is fairly unique in that it was built by the Finance Manager at Caterham, at the factory, and was his company car for 18 months. Its a 99' T reg so I do need the Cat. Dave at PS seems to think fitting the old system for the purpose of the MOT is the best bet.

My car has done 35,000 miles and I don't think the exhaust system has ever been changed so its probably overdue even if I did'nt want to upgrade.

From what you and Griff are saying the Powerspeed system sounds perfect. Dave at PS is v.helpful, knows his stuff and no VAT is a bonus.

Have either of you guys got any pictures of your systems + have you had your cars noise tested for track days?

Cheers

Matt.

Matt

Yes I have photo's there are at home on PC, I could mail them to you later tonight.

I am lucky as mine is a 97, self build car that does not require a Cat - which is just as well as my management system is a luminition competition system and does not support a Cat!!!

As to track test, I have yet to do that, in fact my induction is now much noisier than the exhaust as I run on throttle boddies with ram pipes and sock filters.

I am about to have my management system matched up to the exhaust and cylinder head work I have had done so have not booked any trackdays yet as I want its full potential to do that

Gary

Tweaked 1.6kSupersport

I've got a Powerspeed 4:2:1 system on my 1.6K SS. A friend tested it as 95 dB @ 5000 rpm, 0.5m, 45 degrees. I've also done a track day at the Bedford Autodrome, and they didn't raise an eyebrow. I'm very happy with the system - more powerful and quieter than the horrible 4:1 Caterham system.