Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Helmets

wg_mulholland

I have a feeling you'll be fine for track days but you won't be able to do sprints with a motor cycle helmet and vica versa for a race helmet on a motorbike I'm afraid.

In terms of getting a helmet it's DEFINETLY worth visiting someone like Grand Prix Racewear to try some on before deciding which one to go for. By the sounds of you will need two though....

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

• Support Team

GPR do a Bell motorbike helmet which has BS6658 type A rating as well - my wife has one and it was about £150. This British Standard will get you onto any Octagon circuit (the only ones who seem to stipulate a standard) for a trackday but you would have to check the regulations of the sprints you wanted to do as they may want BS6658 type A/FR which is fire resistant.

Hope this helps,

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Hmm the "real difference" not 100% sure but I think it's a number of factors including..

a) the size of the visor aperture, motorcylce ones are generally wider

b) whether they are fire resistant or not, motorcylce ones general aren't

The final difference is probably going to be related to how the various tests are carried out so in order to pass a SA2000 (Snell 2000?? I think) test the helmet needs certain construction/strengths where as a Type A motorcyce helmet has to meet different criterea.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Move sharpish,as most new m/c helmets are going to EEC standard. The current MSA standard is BS 6658-85, except for international events when the F/R standard in designated.

Snell foundation SA2000 is the newest standard. This latter can be argued to be less good for low speed hillclimb/ spprint events, as opposed to high speed F1 use.There are discussions over this point on various forums on the net. Snell SA2000 is more expensive.

Get a BS 6658-85 ,with ACU stamp, and pay the MSA scruitineer £1 for the MSA stamp ,at the next event you attend would be my advice. Remember that a good fit is all important.

Rob G is right,

The two main differences are that the motorcycle visor aperture is wider (better field of view) and that a car racing lid is nomex lined inside.

SA2000 is the snell certification for car racing helmets whilst M is the certification for motocycle lids - AFAIK there are no helmets with both certification, as has already been said, they have to satifsy different criteria. Remember the dynamics injury in bike and car injuries are different so you need to consider that really carefully before you take a decision.

as for aesthetic value only you might want to buy something like a Simpson bandit which looks like a motorcycle lid but has SA2000 certification so perfectly good for your sprints but then you are compromising on a bike helmet requirements - ideally you have two lids.

I would suggest you take a look at the Snell memorial website at www.smf.org though...

Antonella *smile*

1998 Caterham Classic

(Malta)

.. still not spotted !

my site here

more photos here