Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear view mirror

PACR

Help!

I've just given the inside of my screen a good clean and knocked the mirror off.

I'm pretty sure that with the two door mirros I should be legal (anyone know any different?) but would like to replace it soonish.

As it got in my way when fitted to the top of the screen has anyone got suggestions for a neat scuttle mounted mirror that fits with the screen in place - I saw one fitted ages ago but having fiddled with the one that fell off I suspect the angle of the arm / degree of freedom of the mirror etc is the important bit.

No mega-bucks carbon fibre ones please, it's only a mirror.....

Cheers

Piers

I use the mirror from a Morgan (don't let that put you off!) on the scuttle of my W e s t f i e l d (or thatwink.gif) It was about 28 quid, and chrome. The Demon Thieves one is larger and uglier IMHO, and you are legal with just "door" mirrors. The law, as I understand it, requires 2 rear facing mirrors, but doesn't specify where they should be mounted.

Europa do a selection in their catalogue. Don't have the contact details with me I'm afraid. Anyone ? A scuttle mounted mirror means your tonneau may need adapting.

I've seen a few stuck on the windscreen by suckers. Halfords child mirrors (as used by parents to see children, rather than ones to be stuck on children) do the job and are less than a fiver I believe.

Also don't forget that the standard Caterham supplied mirror can be rotated 180 degrees which raises it out of the way a bit.

(Well that's my mirror facts for today, see you all tomorrow. smile.gif)

Edited by - davebo on 16 Feb 2001 08:27:27

Sorry chaps, but being a bore, I have just checked the relevant Statutory Instrument which I believe is Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 S.I. 1986 no.1078.

For a wheeled motor vehicle which is first used on or after 1/6/1978( or in the case of a Ford Transit,10/7/1978) the following mirrors are required:

i)At least one mirror fitted externally on the offside of the vehicle; and

ii)at least one mirror fitted internally, unless a mirror so fitted would give the driver no view to the rear of the vehicle; and

iii)at least one mirror fitted externally on the nearside of the vehicle unless a mirror which gives the driver an adequate view to the rear is fitted internally.

So there you are.....

Yes, you need an interior mirror and a drivers door mirror(or scuttle) but you can do without a passenger mirror.

My textbook may be a little old but I do not think that this SI has been amended unless by some silly EU regs.

As for alternatives, I would also reccommend a browse through the Holden catalogues which are full of lovely tempting goodies.....

and a nice firm to deal with as well!

Andrew

I seem to recall John Lyon in his race 7 had four or five Halfords jobs all along the top of his windscreen, at slightly offset angles to give a complete panorama, + 2 side mirrors = 7!teeth.gif

Another tip is to consider using the circular convex motorcycle 50p-sized stick on mirrors - these are surprisingly useful in spotting plod sneaking up behind you.

Andy