Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Help my sump is wearing out!

Gridgway

I have got a k series wet sump with non-adjustable ride height that has been flat floored (where a new groove is machined in the shock) and set so that when pushing on on mildly bumpy country roads I keep hitting the sump on the road. I'm running 13" CR500s.

I can quite easily go to adjustable platforms and raise the ride height, but can I set it high enough to stop the problem without ruining the handling?

If not what else do I do? Change to harder springs or dampers, dry sump, drive slower?

Graham

Graham

What clearance do you have between the road and the bottom of the sump? I run 65mm which I believe is the recommended height although I know of people who run as low as 55mm. How stiff is your suspension as this will no doubt be a factor.

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Avoiding the Kerbs

How about adding some extra metal under the sump, a skid plate of some sort, 6mm thick, won't muck with the handling, but would add some protection to the original sump, grind it off this rather than the oil reservoir, just a thought, have fun, Nigel

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

a skid plat will further reduce the clearance...

I suggest you get the adjustable ride height kit (about 100 from Caterham) and knock the ride height up a bit. The re flat floor it.

The flat floor setup isn't magical - just get a load of scales and record the weight on each corner, then raise the front and fiddle to make them as they were.

They'll probably be set to make the front weights roughly equal with the driver in.

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

Bump stops that work would be a good idea. But the implication is that, fitted with such, you'd be hitting them a lot, and that isn't good for handling.

Keeping the same spring/damper/tyre settings your only option is to raise the ride height or the sump.

It would be free to raise the tyre pressures. Otherwise if you're hitting the ground frequently you need to raise the spring rate and/or bump on the damper. Or raise the ride height... Everything will affect the handling, but there you go.

Paul