Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Truck Racing

Boonie Hound

Been leaving Motor Sport on TV to encourage my wife into letting me have a 7. In one way it has worked in that she is now addicted to truck racing. Watched a race on Sky - very, very scary in the wet.

I wionder if they do truck trackdays - just come along in your HGV and have a blat.

Must be a bit scary on a mixed track day...bump...oh sorry, was that your Porsche...

As a child I always thought that lorries would fall over forward if you took the trailer off.

They seems to spend little time travelling in a straight line unless they had locked their wheels at which point nothing, apart from the odd truck that got in their way, would stop them.

Slightly off topic, and I might have asked this before, but it continues to be a source of wonderment and puzzleness to me...why don't cranes fall over forwards when they aren't lifting something - they are counter-balanced at the back, so surely they should tip forwards... *confused* *eek*

*wink*

Rach

its because the weights are so close to the pivot point they are over the chassis on a mobile crane, on a tower crane if you look closley the jib does bend a bit when its lifting and its bolted down with very big screws, they also match the weights to the use of the crane, the heavier the load or the more horizontal the jib required the more weight - or something like that... actually thats rubbish, cranes do fall over, you just cant see them cos it happens at night and building sites have always got big fences round them so you can't see them falling over, if you hang around one overnight you'll hear them going bang and crash.

Edited by - Buda on 22 Aug 2003 14:47:11

I'm going to the lake district to stay with my mum and dad in their house and to see my children who are staying with them because I am not fit to be a parent, actually thats a lie, its because me and keelie are both working at the moment and the kids can't seem to hold a job down, not even the one I got them down the pit, bloody useless sods. *mad*