Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Live axle test day

John E

The format of the test will be the same as the previous one - i.e. everyone drives everyone elses car. Thus, 6 or 7 cars is the limit for this sort of test to get it all done comfortably in the time. The previous test had the advantage of a wet morning and a dry afternoon - I expect one of the deities can sort that out for us.

I'll try and clear up a few questions here...

I plan a number of these features in the future as the response to the December issue was nothing but praise.

As Simon says, he approached me a week or so ago about his idea for a follow-on test, which sounds great. I'm currently in the process of organising it and as the first test was at Curborough we are looking to hold it there again.

Timing was not done, although I'd like to have seen it myself (as PP says it's not the be-all-and-end-all when it comes to handling, although it would have added to the test) but as this was an informal test,it would have been frowned upon by the circuit. Also about 6 cars was the maximum we could cater for there, which (although this may sound mean) is why we couldn't advertise the date and have hordes of other people turning up, even if just to watch.

We don't really have a budget for this kind of thing, so the tests are done with the participants dipping into their pockets a little (not too deeply), so we try and avoid costs in the first place (no we can't hire Silverstone for a day) and Curborough is cheap. Yes, it was a 'bend-it-you-mend-it-deal'.

As regards Number 6's request, I already have a plan for an SI, SII, SIII, SIV, SV test along a similar vein. And there's plenty more to come too.

The problem with having a control tyre is that some people's cars won't be set up for that tyre. The problem with not having a control tyre is that tyres make a massive difference to the handling - sticky tyres (ACB10 & A032R) are *sooo* much more progressive and enjoyable than wooden ones, enough to taint the picture IMHO.

Mike

I would like to nominate myself and R7 RDC for the test! The car is a classic (just changing to double wishbones at moment) 1800CC Xflow, 234 cam, ital diff, LSD, 5 speed with stiffer springs.

As long as dates are not during Le Mans, count me in!

Control tyres would confuse the issue, we'll use the tyre chosen by the owner of the car. As long as the spec is listed then comments can be made on the overall effect. It can be a never-ending test if you start getting carried away - keep it simple, they'll be plenty to learn anyway.

You're right Mike but it would be pointless without a control tyre. Maybe if Roger went ahead with the idea "volunteers" would have a couple of months advance warning to prepare their cars. I'm very keen on seeing just how the new Fireblade (LA) and Blackbird (DD) cars stack up against all the others, especially Arnie's beast, maybe even a couple of BDG's (Mr. Kenrick and Bolsover?). Looks like you're already in this mode of thinking Roger -- again, this would make a fascinating special issue.

Andy

Sorry Roger, I cross posted. The reason why I think control tyres are ***the*** most important issue on a test such as you envisage is that, for example at Curborough, ACB 10's will give you a 2 second (minimum) advantage over Yoko's. And that's a lot of tenths there.

Andy

I've already sourced most of the cars I'll need for the test. I make no apologies that they're largely from my area - N. Hants and Berks. Frankly, I'd think twice about letting someone I don't know drive my car in this sort of test, as you do need to push the car to some degree to gain any useful information about its handling characteristics (without going mad, of course). I think most people would feel the same way, especially when it's on a you-bend-it-you-mend-it basis.

As far as tyres are concerned, I'm much more interested in the character of the cars and their handling than outright pace so I don't think it's necessary to control these. Each owner can bring the cars on tyres that they feel optimise their car.

Simon.

In my experience, you stand a better chance of winning if you don't lend your car to people claiming to be not the competitive sort. You should have seen the Jeckyl/Hyde transformation our dear Mr Puffy took on when he realised he could win in VDU7X. teeth.gif

Still, as I said before, if he was going to beat me in my car, at least he had the courtesy to win whilst he was at it! smile.gif

Alex

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

_________

/ /

___ _/______ /_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) / /

/___/--_________/--/___/

If you hire Curborough for a private test you can do what you like in terms of timing.

I think this type of comparison would be benefited by some timing, it can be done to an acceptable accuracy with a stopwatch, so no need for investment. You would only formally time a selection of runs, probably with the owner driving. So you have the subjective assessments and a ballpark idea of the resulting performance, if we could measure finish speeds we could come up with a handling efficiency formula.....

Paul

Need a VX1600 GRads spec car for the test? (Davebo - were you volunteering? Do you still have your car?) I'd be up for a bit of practice at Curborough. Not sure the axle would stand up to ACB10s though! As for being cost-effective, I've seen some silly prices being asked for VX1600s, as a lot of drivers are flogging their cars to move up to SuperGrads - as low as £6K...

Having only just connected with this thread I can only say that I am looking forward to reading the results in L.F. As has been said, the de dion one made really good copy.

One of our new Kent members has just bought John Cordingleys old 'Cossie' for use as a commuting tool. Drives it four miles to the railway car park & then back again in the evening! I wonder if he would like to give it a good 'airing'? The car is a 4 speed Cosworth live axle developing 210 BHP!!!!!!!!!!!! OOOOHHHH And before you ask, yes, the back axle has just been re built!