Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Live axle test day

John E

Following on from the very succesful test day for De Dion cars which was superbly reproduced in Low Flying is anyone interested in a similar day for a few live axle cars. Alex has agreed to help out and I'm sure that Roger could be pursuaded to take pictures and write a few words. I've never been involved with anything like this before but would think that we would need maybe 6 or so cars in differing levels of development and drivers who are able to assess the vehicle properly. I'm very happy to submit mine for such an exercise.

The suggested venue is Curborough.

I'm actually already some way down the road to organising such an event - I've spoken to Roger Green and he's getting Roger Swift to have a word with his friend (who runs Curborough) about hiring the circuit. I've approached things slightly differently in that I propose testing a range of older/more affordable cars to compliment the 'high end' cars tested in the December issue. At present, my plan is to test 1. 1700 x-flow DD 2. 1700 x-flow LA 3. 1600 x-flow LA 4. 8v VX LA 5. Zetec car of some sort plus a 16v VX (not too trick) and a 1600 K-series for comparison. I'd be interested in any comments anyone had regards choice of cars etc.

John E

Certainly Oulton is always a possible location for a blast across the M62 and in any case, I still await full details of the proposed International event, which certainly sounds very interesting, just so long as it doesn't clash with any other major events....I've warned my wife in advance about booking anything without telling me, until a date is fixed.

Andrew

simonray, John - I'd be very interested in how a bog standard 1600 screenless classic would do, and maybe a proper Lotus series II and Series III with LA's. Will you be doing unofficial 1 or 2 lap times? It would be interesting to see some times, I don't think any were included in the last mega-handling-test in the Dec. magazine.

Andy

I believe to do any sort of timing ('unofficial' or not) can be a can of worms in terms of insurance, indemnity etc. I guess this may be why there weren't any for the previous article. Early cars would be interesting but again stray away somewhat from what I'd like to achieve. The ultimate test would be to try an example of every chassis and engine used in a seven back to back with one experienced driver giving his opinions. It would provide a fascinating insight into how the car's developed over the years. Not what I'm trying to do but maybe an idea for someone else - Roger Green might be the man to do the driving with his experience of road testing and ability to convey his impressions.

Simon

Timing was not done on the day for a couple of reasons, firstly I don't believe we are supposed to do it on a test day (cheaper hire), secondly to get any accurate times we would have had to hire the timing gear which would have cost more than the circuit! Besides the day was about handling not outright lap times teeth.gif

It's probably safer for those involved to not have any competitive urges either as we were all driving each others cars on the proverbial 'you bend it you mend it' basis sad.gif

Gordon

Gordon - fair point, red mist can be worrisome when you're watching your own car being piloted by a madman/womanteeth.gif

Simon - good luck with the testing, I'm sure it will make fascinating reading. I really enjoyed the Dec. issue, it's a very fair format I think. Shame about times but on consideration I can appreciate the insurance/hire/red mist angle.

As for "The ultimate test would be to try an example of every chassis and engine used in a seven back to back with one experienced driver giving his opinions. It would provide a fascinating insight into how the car's developed over the years."

Brilliant.

It's never been done before. Perhaps Roger can set up an ultimate test sometime during the summer - 10/12 cars? - but they'd all have to be on control tyres i.e. ACB 10's. The only proviso I'd have is have say a minimum of 3/4 experienced drivers so a true consensus could be achieved. My other suggestion would be to do the test on an airfield, somewhere like North Weald for example... set up a "circuit" using cones and artificial chicanes, a braking to zero test etc. - plenty of scope to design something demanding. This would eliminate any damage due to cars spinning off into hedges/armco. This way times could be incorporated along with a marks out of 100 format.

This would settle engine arguments once and for all. Or not...teeth.gif

Andy