Click here if you are having website access problems ×

UV protectant wax

Steve-B

• Support Team

Steve,

If you've got laquered arches then you probably won't have a problem. I have laquered carbon front arches and these have not faded in colour at all. I do use Autoglym wax polish though so maybe that has a UV protection agent in it. I guess most decent polishes will have some sort of UV protector. I think the real problem is with natural finish carbon - I have seen many cars with a somewhat faded grey look to their bare carbon bits!

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Decent Carbon (carbon tooling produced expensive stuff) does not fade. That said, if you want to improve the looks of your less than decent carbon use MER bumper and vinyl gel - This leaves a slightly greasy deposit on the surface and is also absorbed into the porous surface of poor quality carbon replenishing the finish and restoring the lustre.

see here for more info.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

I've had a set of "Dog" front arches for about 18 months now and they've not faded at all, but they are as quoted above, made from "decent" carbon fibre. The rears have been on only for a couple of months (at most) but have been exposed to far more abuse from the gravel etc kicked up by the front wheels, and they still look brand new 4000 miles later. But, they are Dog arches too.

However the bare CF noseband looks decidedly grey next to the Dog arches but even this is spruced up with a light T-cut. It does "grey up" after a couple of months but after 3 or 4 T-cuts over the last (nearly) 4 years it is still easily brought back to life. Probably not the best way to keep them looking right. Arnie knows best WRT carbon, so take his advice... or do nothing. Andy Isherwood's carbon arches on his R-reg (I think) superlight are still fine. Maybe not as lustrously black as mine but still look perfectly "carbon".

I wouldn't bother Steve. Just revel in the fact that they are virtually indestructable. *thumbup*

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours