Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

1.8 VVC Fly wheel & Clutch

inspector71

I am currently helping to install a 1.8 K series VVC engine into a 1993 Caterham 7 which originally had a 1.4 K series. I would appreciate any help with the following questions.

I need a fly wheel that will fit onto the 1.8 VVC engine to be used with the existing Ford 5 speed gearbox and Caterham bell housing, as supplied originaly with the car. Has anyone got the Rover part number for this, or better still one for sale?

I also need to fit a new clutch to the above, Most of my driving will be general weekend blatting, but I also intend to do a few hill climbs. What type should I go for?

I have been recommended the AP Racing clutch, but I don’t know which one would fit or be suitable.

Any help / suggestions for the above would be very useful

Regards

Peter H

hartlep@tesco.net

As far as I know a 1.8 flywheel will not fit the B/H, you need a 1.4 or 1.6 F/W. You will also need a new/modified engine loom plus VVC ECU to run it. Maybe a good idea to buy a Caterham lightened F/W?

My modified 1.6K uses a "standard" Caterham supplied clutch but many use the AP uprated clutch.

Mick

if you are running the VVC mems ECU then the 2 missing teeth pattern 1.6 flywheel is what you need rather than the 4 missing teeth pattern on the 1.4 flywheel.

If you are running with an Emerald ECU then you could run either, which makes Caterhams current offer of £100 for a 1.4 lightweight flywheel a bit of a bargain.

• Leadership Team

Peter - is your intention that the VVC unit is your final step upwards, or do you intend for the future to be looking for more power?

You can very easily create an 1800 (supersport if that's what the 1400 was, standard if it wasn't) by utilising your old head and wiring from the 1400, and at the same time the clutch. You can if you wish fit the AP race clutch from Caterham - same for all engine sizes, and a 1400 specific lightweight flywheel - £100 from Caterham, but be quick they must be running out by now!

The only additional item you need from your vvc engine is the injectors. Basically a 1400 car fitted with an 1800 short motor and injectors becomes an 1800, still running on the original Rover MEMS. It isn't worth the trouble to do the full VVC conversion. Save the head for a later date - its the same chambers and ports as the VHPD - you can fit a blanking kit and VVC specific cams, combined with an Emerald / throttle bodies to give some awsome power figures. Or sell the head if you're happy with the power you get from the 1800.

I've done this conversion and I really wouldn't spend the time and trouble doing a full VVC conversion - especially the wiring change. It's a conversion that a number of people have realised is easy / cost effective. At the end of the day an 1800SS running with a lightweight flywheel is a great motor.

Stu.

Thanks Guys...

Looks like I need the 1.6 as I will be using the Rover MEMS unit, I didn't know about the teeth pattern being different so thanks again fordy.

I think 150BHP is enough for the time being, (my funds don’t stretch yet to a new ECU and throttle bodies) but maybe next year..... *smile*

Thanks for the info on this Stu

Regards

Peter H