Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I'm not daddy any more

Nick Woods

My oldest boy, Adam (who is just 6), has gradually stopped calling me 'daddy' and now calls me 'dad' most of the time.

Now my 3 year old is doing it as well - I like being 'daddy' but am not so keen on being just 'dad' ☹️ - or as it is often pronounced when they want something - 'daaaaaaaaaad'

Although on the bright side, Alex (the 3 year old) pronounced 'Walberswick' as 'Weebleswick' when I took him crabbing there yesterday so there is still some fun to be had *wink*. And we caught 76 crabs as well - I think I enjoyed it more than he did *thumbup*

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport

I dont believe in Fate, but I do believe in Sh*t, because Sh*t happens - here and here

Dontcha just hate "Dad" and "Mum" *mad*...

My two spent their formative years in Bermuda and one of them adopted the Americanised "Marmee" which was even worse *eek*

I opted for "Papa" (rhyming with car) or "Pa" 'cos I felt 'too old' to continue calling him Daddy but in our family, we have a tendency to call our elders by their forenames once we become "adults" *tongue* and as I worked with him for some years, it would have sounded pretty daft calling him "Daddy" in front of clients 😳 *eek*

Try a bit of bribery and corruption *wink* "If you call me Dad, I'll call you "Ad" or "AdWad" or something that'll make him cringe in embarrassment........or even do a deal with him. "You call me Daddy until you're such and such an age, then you can call me Nick and if you're really good, you might get to drive my car!" *cool*

BTW, what on earth are you going to do with all those crabs *eek* or was it catch and release stuff 🤔

FH

There are clinics for people with crabs....

I get VERY confused with Emma's family as there are 4 generations and each generation has a different name for the other generations. So Emma's kids have a grandmother and two great-grandmothers whereas Emma has two Grandmothers. The problem is Gran is Emma's mum's mum to Emma, but Emma's Mum to the children. I think. And then there's Nana which I think is Emma's mum's mum to the children but she's Gran to Emma. or something *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused*

And then I've frequently been in the same room as the lot of them - I generally have to get a stiff drink to cope *smile*

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

We have it cracked, each generation decides the names to stop confusion. So my grandma is "grandma" to me but "Great grandma" to my daughter.

My mother thus becomes "Mad Nana"

and my father-in-law is affectionately know as "grumpy" to us all.

Simple *confused*

Windy

Red and Black 1.8K

Adam called me Dad this morning so I said 'Yes, Ad' and he didnt even notice . My wife Sharon keeps saying call him 'Daddy' but all we get is 'dad, wheres mum?' and 'mum can I have a drink' etc

Very occasionally I get called 'Nick' (generally an echo after Sharon has said something like 'come on Nick' , but the pair of them just look at each other and grin.

A few weeks ago one of Adams friends asked Alex what his daddys name was, and he lookd very seriously back and said 'my daddys name is daddy'. Awwwww. Except that now its dad *mad*

BTW The crabs were catch and release - we caught 50 and let them all go then caught another 26 a bit further along. They are all greenish in colour and up to about 2 inches across. By the time we had finished Alex had got very brave and was picking them up to show people

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport

I dont believe in Fate, but I do believe in Sh*t, because Sh*t happens - here and here

Edited by - Nick Woods on 18 Aug 2003 16:59:53