Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spa mirrors

Peter G

Does anyone know if it is possible to "tighten" spa mirrors, one of the ones I have on the doors give me a terrific view of the road at my elbow, rather than the (admittedly fuzzy) surprised look on the face of the driver behind! I have had a look at them and can't see any adjusters etc, but is there a technique???...

Peter G

• Leadership Team

Assuming that they're the same as mine, you take them off (2 screws or bolts) and there's a large grub screw on the back which you tighten using an allan key. A bit of locite to hold it wouldn't go amiss here.

Michael.

Hi Peter

I had this problem - the vibration when fitted to the side screens "auto-adjusted" the mirrors especially when on the motorway ☹️

The solution I came up with was to a) fit them to the windscreen pillar and, b) remove the adjusting grub screw in the ball and socket joint, cut a rubber tap washer to fit in the hole and then replace the gub screw. This needs to be tightened pretty tight.

Mirrors now seam to stay in place *smile* *smile*

John

Edited by - John Hughes on 15 Aug 2003 11:11:39

Ref John Hughes comments: This will presumably stop the sidescreens opening fully. I've successfully carried out a mod on 2 Sevens now, where the Spa mirror is still fitted to the sidescreen, but I've drilled a third hole through the metal suppoting bar in the sidescreen of a diameter that will accept an allen key. Thus if it gets knocked I can re-align and re-tighten it very quickly. A grommet fills the hole to make it look OK. I've done 25,00 miles in these 7's with this arrangement.

It does stop the side screens opening all the way - but I've not had a problem. The mirrors are actually fitted to an ali bracket the attaches to the lower hinge bolts over the hinge. The mirror sits forward of the hinge so the side screen does open a fair way past 90deg. If the roofs up I sometimes slip the side screen off to aid getting in or out (hopefully I very rarely put it up *smile* *smile*)

Added benefit is there are still mirrors when the side screen are removed.

The only other mod I made was to extend the length of the mirror arm on the nearside. I found that it just wasn't long enough and front edge of the side screen obscured quite a lot of the mirror. Was simply done by cutting the arm and epoxying the ends into a piece of ali tube extending the lenght by 20-25mm.

John