Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which Diff - Ford or Subaru???

simonbell

Currently planning my next project which will be Duratec powered. I have three options for the rear diff....

1.Sierra with Quaife ATB LSD - reasonably affordable, tried and tested etc

2. Quaife IRS diff - a tad too expensive at £3000

3. Subaru LSD, don`t know much about them.

The Subaru is likely to be more expensive than the Sierra, but does it have any advantages. I have no doubts it will be up to the job. It looks smaller, at least when following a Scooby, although I haven`t seen one close up. Is it heavier or lighter than the Sierra unit.

Has anyone got any experience with the Scooby diff generally, or even better has anyone used one in a se7en.

Im curious to know which vehicle gives you these three options of Diff or is it a homebrew?

My concern would be ability to set the Diff suitably for what I guess will be a light car.

The Scooby is visco IIRC...could be tricky

Quaffe..sounds like a lot of money for nil return

Sierra with ATB..the most elegant design in automotive history(said by the author of my Auto Technology book) , some describe problems with transmission shock loading but no one has ever explained to me why this is to my satisfaction and it wouldnt put me off having one.

Go on spill the beans, what is it?

Steve

See My Old Zetec Power 7 Here. Caterham Fireblade update soon

When I was at Westflat a couple of months ago they were in the final stages of developing the Freelander LSD for use with all their engines, not just the megablades etc. They reckoned it would save a whole lot of weight, can't remember how much, just that it seemed like a big number at the time

The subaru diff is smaller and lighter than the Sierra diff - ideal for a seven - the viscous center is not ideal, better to fit a Kaaz plate LSD center to the Subaru housing.

This should get you all the benefits of the ZF plate LSD fitted by Caterham in a smaller, lighter package - it should also run considerably quieter.

So no definite answers then......

The project is a new Birkin IRS powered by Duratec, didn`t mention that before in case it put people off answering *wink*

I was going for the Sierra diff as I thought they had dropped the Subaru option, but it seems it is still there so I`m just trying to make an informed decision.

I haven`t looked at prices in detail, but I believe a sierra case with Quaife ATB is around £750 and I`m lead to believe a Scooby LSD could be twice that.

I`m pursuing lightness where possible, although I`m not prepared to overspend to save a few kg if that is the only benefit.

S2 8ELL

Birkin S3 2.0 Zetec 170bhp

> What ratios are available with the Scooby diff?

The current STi is 3.9. Others, including limited editions WRX STi's, were 4.1 or 4.4. Oh and apologies it's got AP Suretrac diffs rather than Quaife torsen (or even AP torsen as I mixed up before).

Muttering nudes last week has a Version 5 WRX STi 4.1 viscous diff for £250 so they're cheap too.

Modded Scoobies are good for 350bhp with 60% rearward power distribution so I can see that this diff would be good for most rear drive Se7ens. But how much power does a Freeloader have? Unless they have upwards of 400 bhp then why would they make the rear diff strong enough for the 200+ bhp you'd need for a decent Se7en?

My next dilema is keeping the car on a current plate, therefore limiting me to one recon part.

Up until now that part has been the engine, so the diff would have to be new.

Options are new Subaru diff.....how much?

OR

Used diff casing replacing internals with a Quaife ATB unit.....does this make it a new part?????

S2 8ELL

Birkin S3 2.0 Zetec 170bhp

WCMUltralite.com..... a Mfg of a 'sortaSeven'.. yes yet another Clone builder.

But they use a Honda S2000 engine ..don't laugh 240 HP warranteed by Honda for 50K MILES...Unlike like the crap from Rover :-)

They use a Subie Diff.. ask them why.