Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Live axle modification

Captainbilos

Phoned Redline today as they seem to know a lot about live axles. Apparently there is not a kit available for this, so no idea how they would have changed the drum brakes. One obvious problem is that it would be hard to find anywhere to anchor the caliper to. As regards the oil, when I went to a quaife LSD in my Ital axle, I was advised to overfill the diff and have had no problems since. I cannot see the advantage of an oil resevoir, as the only diff lubrication problems can be sorted by having the diff baffled to prevent oil surging along the tube and starving the diff unit. Baffling is a common modification.

I have also been told that the inherant weakness in the ital diff, limiting power to around 150 bhp is largely overcome by using an LSD (I think it was Steve Perks, SPC) who mentioned this, has anyone gone well over the 150bhp mark??? My car is 155 and the diff has taken a lot of abuse with no problems, Santa Pod(transmission abuse doesn't come any tougher!!!), track days, touring etc.

If we're talking Ford axles (I haven't seen the Evo article) I would look to the rally fraternity for disc enhanced axles. I have seen many ads in motoring news with axles thus modified for sale. I'm not sure if it was ever a Ford approved mod though. The Ford technical line may be able to help, they're on 01992 725551.

Paul

I asked around and found that the quaiffe ATB (automatic torque biasing)diff has a very progressive action so the diff does not suddenly lock. I believe that the Caterham one for the Ital axle is a quaiffe ATB, they use the AP suretrack for De Dion diffs (can anyone confirm this?). I paid £300 for the diff second hand out of the Low Flying. I think SPC are the best place to buy new, as the diff has to be fitted professionally to get the preloading (whatever that is) correct. At the same time they will baffle it against oil surge. This is around £600 all in...approx.

The diff I got has a 4.1 ratio, so is shorter than the one that came off, but it makes it accelerate faster!

Hope this helps.