Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Modifying a 2.0l Vauxhall

Mick Burrell

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mick

I have just converted from standard injection to the SBD208 kit and it is excellent. The car is now so torquey and revs for Britain. The only critism of running the kit using standard cams is that max power is at 7k yet the car has still got another 1k to go. I am putting in higher lift cams over the winter to make further use of the last 1k.

The kit is relatively easy to install. The only complication that you may have is dealling with the water elbo that coms out of the bottom of the manifold. In most caterhams there is no t piece in the water hose to accept this outlet.

Carl

"Forget the Dry Sump. You really do not need it unless you are doing track days and really pushing it. I ran K2 RUM for a year with a wet sump with no problems."

Agreed

BUT you will

If you go to 'the Ring' and lend it to someone who know's what they are doing OR go to Mallory OR put slicks on it push it just about anywhere else.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Speedy Steve's Workshop, Servicing, setup, fitting here

Edited by - stevefoster on 15 Aug 2003 17:16:39

> The only complication that you may have is dealling with the water elbo that coms out of

> the bottom of the manifold. In most caterhams there is no t piece in the water hose to

> accept this outlet.

Easily sorted, if you have a heater you will have a two outlet submarine pre-mods, changing to a three outlet submarine, available from Caterham, will sort it. Or take the opportunity to save weight by junking the heater and use the heater outlet to feed the water elbow.

I'm reading this with great interest, this is why........

I run a Westfield (I know that will get blanked out !!) with a VX on 45's. I was experiencing problems with a "porous" head and various engine management problems, which thanks to some of the advice on here & WSCC is now rectified.

The reason for the posting is that I have now had the car R/R tuned and the carbs set up correctly and I had an indicated 199 BHP output, this is with 34" chokes and an early MBE (912 ?) ECU. I have also changed the head to a "Coscast" because of the "porous" issue.

I was considering the TB change but after reading this posting I am pleased with my current application *wink*

Darren

If you are getting 199bhp out of a std VX on carbs the rolling road is rather less than accurate. A fresh XE on carbs on 36mm chokes will give 175bhp max. The 912 ECU will do nothing to enhance power, although if you are using it in 3d mode with a TPS drivability and economy will improve a little.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

I know from any R & R there can be a little over (or under) reading and the accuracy can vary greatly. Even if this is the case, I would be surprised if it was nearly 25 BHP out, the R & R (Mowatt) is highly recommended and are experienced in various race applications over a number of years.

I could have had the 34" chokes changed to 36"/38"'s to gain a little more, but for the time being it suits.

p.s. It's good that Westfield doesn't get altered on here 😬

Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield Westfield

Edited by - DAZ 4 on 22 Aug 2003 13:30:40

Arnie;

Whats the average output of a standard 2ltr HPC then? I thought it was 175 bhp on carbs but If a fresh XE engine produces 175bhp then surely the bog standard road engine will produce a lower BHP?

If thats the case, how much lower??

Edited by - dom1 on 22 Aug 2003 16:33:37

Dom, Standard 2l HPC is the bog standard engine, but on carbs..only other difference is Caterham wet sump, which doesn't make any difference to power output. Standard HPC produces 175 bhp at the flywheel

Standard XE engine on GM injection gave 160-165 bhp according to which publication of Caterham's you believe, or 155 bhp according to GM

Paul