Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Search time out

Big Brother

Barry,

Got the following error message twice when running a search.

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e31'

Timeout expired

/Searchsp.asp, line 112

Search was for "road angel" in "for sale" and "in the last 9 months"

Title option was not checked. currently 23 users online

Hi Steve,

The index database that the search facility uses isn't updated in real time, it runs a scan every night to pick up changes by looking at the timestamps on all the records.

Having done a 'full population' of the index on Sunday before bringing the site up, yesterday was the first day that an incremental population was to be run. Because I had had a couple of permissions problems in testing, I wanted to see if this incremental population would work, so I started it manually, probably about 23:30. Once I was sure that it was working, I left it.

Going forward, the incremental is scheduled to kick off at 01:00 and looking at the timings for last night, it should take about an hour. I don't want it to start much later than that because I want to perform database maintenance after that and still have the database ready for first thing in the morning.

My view is that the search timed out because the index was being updated, hopefully this won't happen again. I've just tried your search, as I'm sure you have, and it's ok.

Cheers

Barry