Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Quickrack or Not?

jonhill

I'm currently spec'ing out an SLR, and don't know whether to specify the 22% rack over the standard 8% one.

Can anyone with a quickrack comment on them, especially if they also have tried the standard item? Is the car too twitchy with the quickrack?

My car is primarily for track days with only limited road use, so I'm tempted to specify it anyway, but if anyone has done this and regretted it I'd like to hear their opinion.

Thanks,

Jon

• Leadership Team

Jon,

Definately +22% for the use you're suggesting. For road use any twitchiness can usually be reduced by fitting a 280 or 290mm steering wheel in place of the 265 you've probably specified. With a quick release column you can chop & change to your heart's content.

Stu.

Edited by - sforshaw on 13 Feb 2001 21:03:53

The 22% rack is about 1.8x turns lock/lock.

I'd recommend it. It'll be a bit like playing a video game for the first couple of miles. Then you won't notice.

I don't really like removeable steering wheels, they always seem to add extra flop, and flop is bad. Paying for extra flop is worse.

Paul

I have the 22% rack with the smallest wheel (260mm). Originally I thought this was too twitchy but I have got used to it. In fact, having gotten used to it I find all other setups a bit slow. My toe-in set to 0 degrees but despite what the build manual says, I have set the castor to 2 washers all round (you'll understand when you build one). If you go by the manual you'll end up with less castor (4 washers at the front - none at the back) which will only add to the twitchyness.

I am running ACB10's and because they're very stiff (crossplys) they tramline quite badly. Having raised the front suspension up a tad it is better, but it still demands concentration. I'd like to try the new CR500's to see if radials make for a less demanding drive.

Just after completing my build I wished I'd gone for the 8% rack but now I'll never change. I love it.

Ooh, I'm a Deity. That seems a long time in coming (missus - ooer).

Edited by - V7 SLR on 14 Feb 2001 11:48:26

F1 cars need removeable steering wheels, can afford to buy the best, and still have problems, albeit usually electrical.

On a Caterham it's an affectation which can be lived without.....

Agreed on the SPA/Racetech front, but if you want an easy affectation the Racetech is the one.

Paul

The front of a K Series can be picked up by a fit thief, certainly enough to get it straight on a flat bed. The casual drive-away thief will either be put off by the immobiliser or be unable to get both his trainers down the footwell at the same time.

The trouble with a removeable wheel is that the wonder of being able to remove it wears off as you realise you have to remove it.

It would be amusing (not) to have some kid run away with it while you are paying at a petrol station.....

I think the real motivation for removeable steering wheels is because it makes the driver feel more like a racing driver. Same goes for Momo suede steering wheels.....

The true purist will have the stock Caterham steering wheel (I think it's a Racetech?) and it'll be fixed. His/her car will be a kilo or two lighter as a result....

Paul

The only time I ever bought a Caterham from new I received a Mountney s/wheel!!! Whatever floats your boat I suppose. The Mountney and rubber Sierra gearknob and standard r/bar and inertia-reel belts and K+N alloys with SkidQuick Tyres were all soon replaced with race items!

Andy