Click here if you are having website access problems ×

links - opening in same window

Big Brother

Hi Steve,

it's a feature. Actually, it's because web usability thinking has changed. Current thinking is that the user should have control of his/her windows environment, so it's bad form to open another browser window. If the user wants the link to open in a new browser window they can right click on the link and choose 'open link in new window'.

However once IE catches up with Opera and allows tabbed browsing, the thinking will probably change again. *wink*

Links that were loaded before today, will still open in a new window.

Barry

Barry,

I see where your coming from.

Personaly I think that opening a new window allows Blatchat to become a "springboard".

Even though a new window has opened, BC is still there in the background to provide a little consistancy and help with keeping users on the site and not getting lost in the WWW.

JMHO

Steve

Se7en-Up!

Less is more!

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

i like opening in a new window - but i'd like to know what will happen in advance.

eg if you click on a link one of 3 things could happen:

you go to the URL

the URL opens in a new window

a poxy java window opens

if you "open in new window" on it 1 and 2 still work as you'd expect. but 3 does nothing and gets upset.

*mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad*

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

It's good nettiquette to leave the users environment management to themselves, it's easy to right click and 'open in a new window' and gives people the choice. Steve, stop being a great big cry baby, it's just culture shock and you'll get used to it in time.

So speaketh Kev!

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬