Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which upgrade

Fizzy Bob

Did somebody say fizz?

You could try strapping a rocket motor to the roll bar.

From my investigations there are no real short cuts, new ECU is needed really.

Then you want throttle bodies, but then you need new cams, then you need solid lifters, then you need new pistons, then you need new liners, then you need a new bank manager!

I have gone over this about 10 times in the last month.

I have decided to just stick to New ECU, and Throttle Bodies for now. Then do all the internal bits in the winter.

Simon.

X777CAT

The easiest shortcut is the Supersport upgrade. If it's the only upgrade you'll ever make then it's good value (even better if you can find one secondhand) but if you think you might get into more serious DIY upgrades later then you'll end up throwing away the Supersport upgrade.

Mike

Would Throttle Bodies and an Emerald plug compatable ECU with a session on the rollers not take this beast from 140bhp to about 160-170????

Cams are nice but not essential.....

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Slow Old Vauxhall wink.gif

The EMERALD is plug compatible with the MEMS hence an Emeerald plug compatible ECU....

Its only you who can't get one.... Geoffs got four (3 spares), he's just not telling you.......

AW

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Slow Old Vauxhall wink.gif

I'm considering a similar upgrade ie TB's and an Emerald unit. The engine is 1600K SS. Both Emerald and Minister reckon the mod is good for about an additional 10 - 12 BHP ie about 150hp top whack. The main benefit reported seems to be improved breathing at the top end sustaining the torque curve for the last few hundred revs versus the std SS where it does show signs of running out of breath. In other words it revs more freely.

If you have a 5 speed box then an upgrade to the Caterham 6 speed makes on h*ll of a difference.

I would suggest a good read of Dave Andrews site re. 'K' series tuning. It's all a question of a few HP here & a few more there.

As Peter C says, revs kill engines so with a good few mods (large valves, porting etc) and revs limited to say 7600 then 190's HP is achievable/sustainable/sensible(?).

Arnie. Now have an ECU that will hopefully be sorted this week!

(not Emerald nor Emeerald!)

Did you get the GEMs in the end Chris?

I think "one day upgrades" are asking a bit much. The std. K isn't a bad engine to start with, so as a result you have to do more to it to get more "fizz".

David W has a good point about the gearbox. I'm sure this could be swapped out in a day but they ain't cheap. It *will* make a world of difference though.

Mike also has a good point about the Supersport upgrade, but you have to have an awful lot of will power not to keep going in search of more power once you start! Supersports with 6spd boxes are absolutely fantastic.

The TB's and a new ECU should improve responsiveness as well as maybe giving a bit more power. They'll also make it sound better. All of which might give the extra pep you're looking for , for now at least? It also gives you a great platform for any/all the other mods you may want to do later...a set of cams on top of this would definitely give something extra but you're again pushing the envelope on what's possible in a day I think. An exhaust change (race system) might also help (at least in the sound department) and won't hurt later either.

And if you do nothing else, follow Chris' advice and take a look at Dave Andrew's site. VERY informative, VERY easy to read and understand and should clear up any questions you may have about upgrades...

C7 AJM