Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lumenition engine management

Red SLR

I am trying to get hold of the Lumenintion DTH TB kit.

I got this E-mail from QED.

he only reservation I would have is that the flywheel on the 1600 supersport engine sometimes has the same arrangement of crank sensor triggerring teeth as the 1400 flywheel. If this is the case then the Lumenition system cannot be used without changing the flywheel (although the DTA system can still be used).

To check which flywheel you have you will need to count the triggerring teeth.

There will either be two teeth missing from 36, one on either side of the flywheel, or 4 teeth missing with the configuration, three teeth then a gap followed by 13 teeth then a gap followed by 2 teeth then a gap followed by 14 teeth then a gap.

If your flywheel has the second of these configurations then you can use the Lumenition system.

Can anybody tell me if my 1600 Superlight has the second config?

I have a lightened fly wheel.

Thanks

Simon.

X777CAT

Definitely four!

Why luminition ? It's an expensive way to go as the only difference between std. Jenvey DTH TB's and the re badged Luminition ones is that a) they are coloured red & b) they cost more. The ignition unit badged as Luminition is actually a GEMS unit (again more expensive).

All 'K' powered Caterhams (1.4/1.6/1.8) use the 1.4 type flywheel!

Yes, I am learning Mike!!!

• Leadership Team

Chris, doesn't that conflict with Simon's original posting?

I understand that Jenvey units are currently on back order with QED and they will be unable to supply for 2 - 3 of months (nb. 2nd hand info, not direct from QED).There is apparently plenty of stock of the Luminition items therefore some people will pay more to be on the road for the spring?

Simon - the red will clash superbly with your yellow superlight - rhubarb & custard comes to mind.

Stu.

THe Lumenition is cheaper than the DTA and GEMS, so I dont know what is going on here.

Chris

You say all the k's use 1.4 type flys, but mine has a lightened one... is that also a 1.4 type - if so is it 2 tooth or 4 toot?

Stu - I dont care just so long as it works and the car goes faster! If that fails I had better get and buy some red paint.

wink.gif

X777CAT

Red throttle bodies make you go faster, a well known fact. They also look superb in the engine bay of a yellow car, see.

Personally, I think you may end up being better off buying all the bits separately.

An Emerald ECU, Jenvey DTH TB's, pair of Piper cams etc. will cost no more than the "kits" supplied, and will probably be less. But you get the chance to tailor the installation more and (here's the big plus) there's tons of experience on line and more importantly free maps for the ECU! I went with an MBE ECU and it was a pain to set up (had it done for me and even they had hassle) as there were no decent maps to use as a start point.

Of course the down side (as Chris is unfortunately finding) is that kit isn't always available when you want it, but I suspect this is always going to be true of bits that aren't what you could call mainstream...my upgrades took an absolute eternity, and this was partly to blame!

Whichever way you go though, the results will definitely be worth it. The sound of the induction at full tilt alone is fantastic!

C7 AJM

Edited by - Andy Murphy on 14 Feb 2001 09:38:16

Edited by - Andy Murphy on 14 Feb 2001 09:39:47

QED can get the kit to me in 4 weeks. But they will "confirm" when they recieve my order.

They gave me the following prices.... does anybody know anywhere that does any of it cheaper, as I am not buying a full kit I can miss out bits and bobs.

Lumenition ECU and comms package

Direct to Head throttle bodies

Tapered spacers and mounting studs

45mm air trumpets - 90mm length

-OR-

45mm air trumpets - 40mm length

-6 hose end finishers, fuel rail fittings and 0.5m length of aeroquip hose

Fuel pressure regulator

Single cable throttle linkage with brackets and spacers for D2H bodies

Also which trumpets should I go for?

Thanks

Simon.

X777CAT

With a bit of cunning you can reuse the Rover fuel rail and pressure regulator. You'll need to make up a couple of brackets for the rail and space the air filter backplate off the bodies, but I see you've got some spacers in the list anyway.

The DTH bodies are quite short so I'd say you want at least 90mm strumpets.

Mike

Jesus H. Christ on a bike, they're still pulling that scam are they. Before I bought my GEMS ECU I spoke to GEMS and asked questions like "Does the software come with it?" and "Will it run distributorless?". Answers were "yes" and "yes". "Should I buy it from you or should I go to a dealer?". Answer was that they didn't really care but it would be gracious of me to buy from a dealer if I was going to take it to that dealer for mapping, so I bought it from Southern Carbs. It turned up with no software or cable. Spoke to GEMS "Oh you only get the software thrown in if you buy direct from us". Oh great. Had a big row with them, no joy at all. So I had to pay them the extra (over 100quid) for the software. Then found it wouldn't work dizzyless either - and they charged me another 3 figure sum to add that functionality. B******ds. Or more specifically b*****d Managing Director, the techie guys there were fine to deal with.

I believe that the Emerald M3DK is 600ukp all inclusive (VAT, software, cable etc) although there is a bit of a wait while they gear up for volume production.

Mike