Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which Vauxhall engine

Real-Stig

Westfeilds used to do this and the alloy bellhousing is discribed as 16v bell housing conversion part No 3209002 ring and ask for Chris Masters he will know if this is the correct part and the parts you will need to make the clutch work the bell housing is priced at 234.84 inc vat tel No 01384 400077 ask for Chris Masters.

paul

If you haven't already decided on the 1.8 engine and you want something a bit lighter with a bit more power then what about the 1.6 16v (as fitted to Corsa GSis)?

Andy Stokes has fitted one in his Caterham and all the bits, e.g. bell-housing, engine mounts, exhaust, etc., are out there at sensible prices.

Nick

1.6 Ecotec Vx is an awesome little engine, have a nose at SBD (www.sbdev.co.uk for their kits (reputed 220+bhp).

If the Astra 1.8 is identical to the 2.0 XE then there's lots of bellhousings out there. Try SBD or Titan for a nice alloy one. Alternatively, www.plays-kool.co.uk have sorted mine out a treat.

If I remember correctly the bellhousing is about 140UKP, the clutch should be easy enough, just needs a standard VX cover, and a friction plate from the appropriate Sierra (the flywheel does need machined though). This is all West field related info but I'm assuming it still applies to your conversion.

Hope this helps,

Graeme.

www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk

Just thought that I would pass on this information: The 1.8L 8v Astra GTE engine has exactly the same block as the 2.0L 16v. There is a brilliant company in Surbiton called SBD (thanks Andy Stokes) that supply everything you will need. They even supply bellhousings to link Vauxhall engines to Ford gearboxes (approx 140.00 GBpounds).

If anybody has any horror stories please let me know now........

Thanks again for everybody's input.

> If anybody has any horror stories please let me know now........

No horror stories from me.

I've got one of their 2.0 litre 16V XE engines and it's excellent. Never had any problems from SBD bits at all. Nice people to deal with too.

Steve (he's the S bit) is building a pretty special 1600 16V engined Westie as we speak. He'll be sprinting that at odd events later this year so they're putting their money where their mouth is.

Other's on the list (he says diplomatically!) have had bad experiences but I think the balance of opinion is that they're now more customer focussed than perhaps they once were.

I for one wouldn't hesitate to recomend them.

Me either - only had favourable reports from other people which is what led me to Steve's door when it came to building my 1.6 16V.

I'm off down there tomorrow to collect the next batch of bits (and to watch my credit card melt !!).

I've had one of Steve Broughtons engine since around '94, it's now in it's third home [a 21 now] and it's given me excellent service.

SBD are only a small company, virtually a one man band, but they do seem to know what they are doing, having said that I think that all businesses have customers in which everything seems to go wrong, and SBD are no exception. As Graham F. says, they are probably more customer focused now, possibly since Arnies bad experience!