Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wanted - vauxhall xe top end

Carl

I am looking to buy a good vauxhall xe head with all the bits fitted. I am currently running standard pistons so will probably be restricted to standard cams or very mild lift only. I have a noisy tappet at the moment so I am looking to buy a good top end that is in excellent condition that is low mileage or has been reconditioned recently. The right money is waiting for a good'un so give me a ring on 07939 586 848.

May be interested in a complete engine as well especially if the pistons are seated for higher cams.

Carl

I have a fresh rebuilt JPE bottom end with cosworth forged pistons pocketed suitabley for a 250bhp application, ARP bolts, new bearings, honed and still 86mm bores and std journals etc.

I also have a head which is in pieces but otherwise complete and low mileage. Its 100% OK for rebuild and came off a Caterham to which it was fitted from new. instead of some old Astra.

Email arnie@the-webbs.com if you are interested.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

If it's a wet sump engine you've got, try a bit more oil. I had a noisy tappet on my VX and £2000 worth of farting about with new hydraulic lifters engine rebuilds at Swindon etc. didn't cure it.

Filling 5mm over the max mark on the dipstick did. Try that before you try anything else. Some others have needed up to 10mm.

Thanks Roland

I tried this the other week and it seems to have solved the problem. I think that their is an inherent problem with using the smaller Caterham wet sump with this engine compared to the sum that was designed for the car.

Carl

That's the consensus of opinion amongst VX owners too. I think it's right. I'm looking about for an Apollo tank to fit to mine but haven't succeeded in obtaining one yet. It's another option to consider if you're into hard thrashing and can't afford a drysump.

Of course when you get into serious power upgrades you'll go to solid lifters and the tapping tappets become academic then !!

See ya around !