Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery Conditioner

Markm

When the battery is disconnected to a caterham fopr a long period of time, does it affect anything on the car.

I have disconnectred my battery and connected it to a battery conditioner, which is wha the instructions for the conditioner recommend. But when reconnected to the car say after 3 months, does anybody know if I will encounter any problems.

Mark

There's no reason to disconnect the battery from the car if your're using a battery conditioner.

What a lot of us do is to cut off the croc clips that most battery conditioners come with and wire in an appropriate connector under the dash, with its corresponding mating connector on the conditioner, to which the battery conditioner can be plugged into anytime very easily. My 7 is always left permanently with a conditioner on it when not in use.

You can leave a battery conditioner on 365 days a year and you will do no harm (assuming it IS a battery conditioner, ie: a charger which is delivering approx 100mA to 150mA). The advantage is that any "always on" equipment like the immobiliser or a clock will be powered too. Remember that when the battery receives its main charge (from the alternator) the battery is definitely IN the car!!

Taking the battery off the car to charge it won't actually do any harm (other than the hassle and the risk of dropping it) but you will need to reset the immobiliser (if you have one) when you reconnect.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

• 2 weeks later...

Try the Optimate.

Have had one for years and have always connected it to the bikes i've had previously.Never had any issues with it, and am now using it on the Caterham.

This unit will even re-charge totally flat batteries, and recover sulphated batteries.Usually retails around the 4o quid mark, but come with all the gubbins to hard wire the adapter to your vehicle, and croc clips. It really is a plug and forget unit.

Any decent bike shop worth it's salt should have them in stock.