Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mirrors with the JPE screen

Steve W

Now I have the JPE black screen fitted where do most people fix there mirror's. Attaching them to the JPE screen would seem to be the best place giving a good view over the rear wings. Or am I better fixing them to the scuttle ? If I fix them to the screen are there any problems with the screen cracking ?

I fixed mine to the scuttle and in time minor adjustments took their toll and I punched two neat inch diameter holes in the scuttle. If you mount through the skin of the scuttle you need to put a reinforcing plate on the inside surface to spread the load.

If you are going for mounting on the JPE screen, use one of those wood drill bits that has a central spike and take it slowly, allowing the material to cool off between attempts at material removal. Be especially careful when it is about to break through. Don't do the mounting bolts up too tight. Perhaps use plastic bolts.

I attached my SPA mirrors to the scuttle, but found them a little too low initially. Luckily, whilst chatting to SPA at the Autosport show, they told me they could supply longer arms. For about £4 each these new arms lift the mirrors about 2in higher which is just enough to get a decent field of vision...and they don't look ridiculous either. My website has pictures of the mirrors with the old arms, I'll post a photo of the new arms at the weekend if that'd be helpful.

A fellow sevener from Poole, Ian Balson (you might remember us both from the Autosport show) has fixed his directly to the JPE screen, but had titanium plates made up to reinforce the other side of the screen, with neoprene washers on both sides. He might be able to give you more details.

Kevin Thomas

kevin.thomas@bigfoot.com

www.c7kjt.co.uk

Steve,

I'd follow option 1 and fix them to the scuttle. The little blocks on the screen snap off rather easily and the added stresses of a mirror could make them even more suceptable to breakage. I actually drilled into the small blocks and secureed each with two tiny self tappers - works well and they haven't cracked off since.

You definately need to reinforce the mounting where it passes through the ally scuttle. I used tow M5 panel washers and trimmed them to fit around the adjustment hole on the back of the mirrors. No probs yet......

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Slow Old Vauxhall wink.gif

Steve,

As kevin mentioned, I attached the SPA side mirrors to the screen. I have had no problems to date with regard to the screen/mounting plates cracking. However, I have only covered around 750 miles in this configuration. The reason I fitted the mirrors to the screen was to allow me to change back to a full screen configuration more easily when my other half comes along. I have used rubber washers on each side of the screen with a titanium backplate (I have a friend who works in the aircraft industry !).

Ian.

Thanks for the info. At the moment they are fitted to the scuttle via the nice hole left for the wire for the heated screen. They now have large washers on both sides (I over tighten one and pulled it though the scuttle). They look much better on the screen but sounds like it will not take the load.

Can't remember the make but racetech sounds familiar (came with the car). The only problem is the the mounting plate is flat not curved like the scuttle. Any idea's

Steve,

Mount the mirrors on a flat piece of the scuttle........

Ian,

Steve forgeot to mention that he tends to fall over alot a times in close vicinity to his car, often spending the whole night on the floor next to it.

For this reason attaching the mirrors to an item such as the screen would not be a sensible idea, as his concept of reason regarding thier stregth may be compromised as he reaches out to grab one and steady himself......

What was it you were drinking Steve???

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Slow Old Vauxhall wink.gif

I assume Arnie you are talking about the thursday night of the last Le Mans trip.

As to what I was drinking ,just about everything. But as with the best hangovers the exact mixture will never be known. I did have the most monster of a hangover. Having to pull over to be sick after going for a drive in the morning then falling asleep in the car. The resultant sun stroke and hangover can be seen in your pic in this months low flying (I'm the one sitting down with the very red face).

PS I think I'll try some new racetech mirrors mounted in the current holes. And your right I might grab them on the way down ?

I guess you mean the R500 stylie carbon screen. I belive it's in the region of £100 more than then standard so about £230 very ish. Its has a lower profile than the black JPE screen but I'm told it works very well ? And it's stronger so you could mount the mirrors to it.

I have mounted the R500 type carbon mirrors on my black perspex screen and so far no problems. I did make a couple of soft rubber gaskets to go under the mirror mountings to give a bit of flexibility, and on the back under the bolts I used small rubber plumbers washers. This gives the mirrors a bit of movement so hopefully they won't crack the screen at high speed or whilst adjusting. When I drilled the screen I used a small pilot hole to start and then gradually increased the hole diameter with a variable speed drill upto 5mm.

I think Arnie mentioned about strengthening the perspex mounting blocks. I did this by drilling then tapping some 3mm holes then screwed in some small 3mm cap head screws through the front of the screen and into the blocks.

One of the R500 guys could verify this, but I think that the Carbon screen has a rearward facing lip on the bottom which is mounted using the Windscreen type rubber sealant that Caterham use, so no extra holes in the scuttle, but a bugger to get off.

Andy