Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Filling coolant on a 2l Zetec

groutledge

• Support Team

Graham,

I have just fitted a Radtec to my K series over the weekend. There are a few threads over the last week or so on this so have a look back over them.

Have a look here.

The main thing is to jack the front of the car up as high as you can to make the bleed valve the highest point in the system.

I filled the system through the header tank and filled the radiator through the top hose. I then ran the engine until it got warm enough for the thermostat to open - this will allow water into the radiator - and then stopped to bleed the system using the radiator bleed valve. When no more air came out I topped up the header tank and ran the engine again. Repeat this process until no more air comes out. Be careful when removing the header tank cap as the system is under pressure! If you have a heater you will need to have the valve open. I kept an eye on the temperature at all times while running the car to make sure there weren't any sudden jumps that could have been casued by an airlock.

The system on a K series takes about 5 litres so I used that as a check to be sure that there weren't any huge airlocks! I imagine a Zetec is similar.

Hope this isn't teaching you to suck eggs *wink*. I think there is no hard and fast way of doing it although some people seem to have what they consider a fool proof technique - as I say check some of the threads from the last week.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Graham,

Have you got the Raceline water rail with the thermostat housing sited near the front of the engine?

If so you don't need to jack up the front of the car as the Raceline thermostat housing is the highest point on the system and acts as a fill/bleed point. I have a Zetec and changed to the Radtec rad over the weekend as well. It's a nice bit of kit

Brent