Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wet Diff.....

Maccers

So, having picked up my live axle 7 on Friday, and promptly returning it on Saturday due to a leaky diff, I ask, has anyone else had this?? The car was built by Caterham in 96. I am not sure what axle it has, but I guess it is an Ital re-con unit. Seems to be leaking diff oil (cat piss smell) quite a bit.

This sounds like a pig of a job. Never had a rear axle car, but always thought this was a sealed unit, for life and should not leak. Waiting to hear what they say.....

RM.

From what I can see with the car on the ground, the oil is collecting at the bottom of the diff casing, and is actually dripping on the floor, until it cools. I can't see much more from the ground, and have not had the chance to get it on a ramp. Dealer says it is the crank breather blowing oil out, and collecting on the diff, which would mean they have filled the engine with hypoid oil, cos this stuff smeels like hypoid, and the end of the breather pipe smells of clean oil (no catch tank for oil). I am sure it is the paper gasket that has gone. Will find out what they think it is today.

RM.

I'm not qualified to answer that one I'm afraid. To my knowlegde the breather is there to prevent the build up of pressure and therefore protect the various seals. I'm not sure how you could actually overfill cos the oil would simply come back out of the filler. It maybe that someone has filled through the breather. Take out the filler plug and that is the effective oil level.

The Ital axle does indeed have a plastic breather on the offside top side of the diff. It is very difficult to fill the diff through this unless the car is jacked up and the wheels are off. As happened to me if the diff is filled when the car is on axle stands then it is possible to marginally overfill as the angle of the diff is different on stands than on the ground under its own weight. Not wishing to cause alarm and despondency my live axle sprung a leak 2 years ago for no apparent reason. Turned out to be a small manufacturing defect in the case that had been covered/filled in by paint during manufacture and the plug had finally popped out. Only required a quick dollop of braze.

Kim

I had a leak from my diff. which turned out to be the pinion seal on the nose. The oil then ran down the casing and dripped from the 'A' frame bracket. It is possible (just!) to remove the prop. shaft and use a large socket on the pinion nut, with plenty of leverage you can undo and renew the seal. It is, though, an absolute B*****D of a job and much easier if you remove the complete axle and take it to a garage where they have a percussion wrench to undo the nut. I doubt very much it will be coming from the axle breather in the quantities you suggest.

Couple of words of warning though:-

1) Replace the 'A' frame bushes when you re-assemble, they hate oil and will be spongey/about to fail if they are contaminated.

2)If you do remove the axle (a simple enough job) unscrew the axle breather before doing so. It is only made of nylon and 'sure as eggs is eggs' will catch on the body/shock absorber as you withdraw the axle thus breaking off. I know, I've done it!

Good luck

Brent