Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exhaust sealing compounds

Tony Martyr

If there is a way of taking the standard Caterham exhaust manifold off with the engine in place and without vandalising it - I do not want to hear about it. Hacksaws rule OK?

When I got the gasket off it was coated with a colourless silicone type of sealant that I can't remember putting on when I built the car.

To seal the tubes into the 4:1 junction I will use Hermetite Exhaust assembly paste but what do you use- if anything - on the flange/manifold gasket face?

Oh and carving out a big hole in the bodywork for the tubes to go through is fun isn't it?

No need for additional sealant on the gasket face for the manifold . I would reccomend a new gasket though .

The manifold on my k series ( I assume thats what you have ) on 97 chassis comes off the head bolts with a liitle persusion but I didnt bother taking out of the engine bay .

Does the sealant you use hold up well ?? .... I was once told thet Pro Tune measured a 3/8th increase in exhaust length at the 4-1 section when the exhaust was very hot , and no compound could survive that abuse for long . I ( and many noise surtineers) would be very pleased to find something to stop the popping and banging from air entering the exhaust collector .

Dave