Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help - radiator and laminova fitting going horribly wrong

Shaun_E

• Support Team

I am in the process of fitting a new Radtec radiator and a Laminova. Radiator fitted no problem - direct swap. The fan switch Caterham sent me is the wrong one so had to use the old one - I didn't know there were different ones but the two have different threads. I was a little unsure about which way up to put the radiator as the tanks are at either side rather then top and bottom. On the old radiator the fan switch was in the top tank next to the top raditor hose - I have put the new raditor in so that the fan switch is in the passenger side tank which the top hose connects to - is this correct?

Problems started when I tried to fit the Laminova - the radiator top hose is in a different position on the Radtec to that on the std Caterham radiator - it is nearer the outside of the car so that there is not enough room to fit the Laminova. Unfortunately I made the mistake of cutting the radiator top hose (nice expensive silicon job of course) before realising that. The only solution I have found is to use the old radiator bottom hose (the one that has two right angle bends in it) and mount the Laminova sloping upwards over the top of the Apollo- still touch and go on space though. I suspect that the Apollo tank (fitted by Caterham) is not in the optimal position and as it is rivetted in place I am not going to move it. I think I can get it all connected up now but what a nightmare. Any suggestions gratefully received - especially on securing it in place.

The other problem I have is fitting a new silicon replacement for the bit of the bottom hose which connects to the engine block - the one that doubles back on itself. I cannot get this hose to fit at all and when I compare the diameter to the one I took off it is smaller. How can I stretch the hose to make it fit? Is it possible to remove the thing it connects to which looks like it is bolted to the engine somehow?

I'm a bit down now ☹️ and am going to have a few beers - hopefully I'll have calmed down by the morning and will be able to approach this rationally.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Is it possible to remove the thing it connects to which looks like it is bolted to the engine somehow?

This sounds like the thermostat housing. It is held on with 3 bolts. You should be able to get a better fit pipe (correct diameter) DT do various sizes.

Shaun - take a break and go back to it fresh in the morning and all will seem better - the longer you work on it now the worse you will feel it is going - trust me btdt.

Regards,

Martin

• Support Team

Martin - thanks.

I'll remove the thermostat housing and connect the hose to it off the car. The hoses do fit but with difficulty. Sound advice on taking a break - hence me sitting in front of the computer with a beer in my hand 😬. Bugger it's empty - I'll go and get another. I'll go back to the car tomorrow, hopefully in the sun.

Cheers,

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Shaun

to remove the thermostat housing there is one bolt (at 90 degrees to the pipe entry, a 10mm head IIRC ), undo this and then the whole thermostat housing will wiggle (technical term!) out of the block. Use a small amount of washing up liquid as a lubricant to help get the new pipe on, then refit as one piece

Mark

ps. I think I have spare (non silicon) top and bottom hoses in the garage if you need one urgently to get the job done

Edited by - F355GTS on 1 Aug 2003 22:14:34

• Support Team

Mark - thanks for the advice on thermostat. This is the first piece of work I have done on the car (and in fact the the first time on any car for very long time) so I was kidding myself if I thought it would be straightforward. Not having built the Seven I have very little idea about how it all hangs together - I'm relying on basic knowledge picked up over the years fixing various old bangers and of course the amazing Blatchat 😬. If it all goes completely t*ts up and I need to give up on fitting the Laminova then the spare hoses will be a life saver to get the car back on the road. Hopefully it won't come to that but cheers for the offer.

Martin - guess you'll be having one or two beers at the end of your on call stint. *wink*

Right I'm signing off now - a few more beers and then bed. Keep an eye out for my desparate pleas for help tomorrow 😳.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

Laminova all connected now and all the hoses are attached in the right place. Didn't actually take the thermostat housing off (my wiggling technique wasn't that great *eek*) but it moved enough for me to get the hose onto it. Refilling of cooling system took a while (see other thread) but I think I'm there now. Been for a short blat - temperature between 85 and 87 while moving and fan cuts in around the 100 mark when stuck in traffic and gets temp down below 95 fairly quickly. Oil heated up very quickly so the Laminova is doing it's stuff in that regard too. Oil pressure has dropped a bit but is steady and no sign of leaks yet. Oil temp was stable at 80 but was only a short drive so I'll have to wait and see as regards oil cooling.

Will keep checking levels and hoses over the next few blats.

Cheers to the people who gave me support in my hour of despair last night. *thumbup*

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32