Click here if you are having website access problems ×

More problems on Vauxhall clutch/flywheel...

Marius

Some minutes ago I stopped fitting my new gearbox onto the engine. I remember being told that in the very center of the flywheel there has to be fitted some kind of bearing where the input-shaft fits tightly in. Now I measured the input-shaft (15mm diameter) and the "hole" in the fly-wheel (20mm diameter).

So I think the bearing must be missing or am I wrong ?? There should be a tight fit between input-shaft and bearing, shouldn´t it? I guess that my engine-builder forgot to fit it again (so as the washers between clutch & flywheel...).

Thanks guys for your help.

Marius

Yes. You need a spigot bearing - I thought the standard Ford item had an OD of 21mm. It is a needle roller bearing and is a PITA to fit and it is a clutch off job.

The advice I have been given is:

Find a square shouldered socket of the right size and tap the bearing gently into place. Be very careful that it doesn't get knocked off centre.

IME it always goes off centre.

F... !! Everytime I think it´s finished new problems appear. About time to think about the R500 again...

Thanks Peter. Oh, by the way, you´re at the Ring in April ? I´d love to meet the "King of the K´s" and of course his car.

Cheers, Marius

- The one who needs a spigot bearing but does not have one yet -

I've had to cancel my trip to the Ring and Spa because I am still going to be in Australia. I'm smarting from having had to pay for a two week ski holiday that I have just missed.

However, I did spend this afternoon white water rafting, so this trip has its compensations.

I fear I have joined the march towards being a Seven owner who never drives his car.

First 3 months (November 1997 to January 1998 - 3000 miles)

First year 14,000 miles

Second year 10,000 miles

Third year 4,000 miles

First three months of fourth year 200 miles