Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Worrying Xflow Engine Noise

bstark

I'm trying to work out if this noise is something I should be worrying about (right now, I am) or if it's a normal TADTS noise - I may just be over-sensitive after my well-insulated tin-top.

The noise itself sounds like a loud ticking noise (a bit like a tappet noise, but less frequent compared with engine speed, and louder, I think), that gets louder under load. It's worst (ie. louder) in a high gear at low speed - eg. accelerating with traffic from 40 in 4th, and can't be heard at all if the engine is under no load. I think it is slightly worse when the engine is cold. At higher revs (say accelerating hard over 4500rpm in second) I don't notice it at all - but it may just be being drowned out by the far nicer carb & exhaust blare *smile*.

The engine itself starts and runs fine, is smooth (as xflows go), runs good oil pressure, normal water temp, doesn't use any oil and seems to be performing well. Redline have had the car in a couple of times in the last few months - once to re-jet the carbs correctly and fit the correct trumpets, and the other time to fit stiffer springs and rebuild the back axle - and haven't mentioned it (they strike me as the sort who would tell me if they saw something wrong).

I'm using super unleaded / Optimax plus a Castrol Valvemaster Plus.

Am I just being paranoid, or does this sound like a symptom of something?

Bob Stark

Supersprinter

Thanks Brent - I'm near Maidstone, so I'm probably an hour and a half from you.

If it's a straightforward job to do, then I'll ask around work to see if someone has something I can use, ortherwise I may well take you up on that *thumbup* (If it is pinking, I'd like to sort it before Brands on Wednesday, and this weekend's already looking a bit full...)

Bob Stark

Supersprinter

• Leadership Team

Alternatively, could be the exhaust manifold gasket blowing, which I used to have regularly and made a sound like you describe. Put your hand aroud the point where the exhaust manifold meets the block and see if you can't detect gasses escaping (Normally it's the centre 2 pipes where the gasket goes)

Careful though - it's HOT 😳 😳

Best of luck - Michael.

Michael - if you're right then you've just made my day! *thumbup* (an exhaust gasket is a much happier thought than some of the maladies I've had visions of).

If itis the gaskets, can I use exhaust repair paste as a temporary fix until I have time to get and fit new gaskets? Will it blowing in the meantime cause any serious problems (I'm very keen not to miss the track day that I have just spent £££ on!)?

Thanks

Bob Stark

Supersprinter

Bob,

If you give Chris a call he can probably stick some i the post, they only take 10minutes to fit. He's on 01992 470480.

Alternatively as a temporary measure you can get some cheaper big valve ones from Burtons which aren't too bad. They also do next day delivery. They won't last as well as Chris/Rogers's ones though.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

• Leadership Team

I run my car permanently wihout ane xhaust gasket, just a tiny smear of paste. This is what James Whiting swears by and I've had no problems. The logic is that with a gasket fitted, when you tighten down the bolts into the head, this very slightly distorts the face of the exhaust manifold - this then causes the weak spot in the middle where the gasket fails again in the future.

I had the face of the manifold planished flat and then have not used a gasket since and it's been good like that for 3 years now. Mind you, I'm disturbing the manifold this weekend to fit eshaust lagging, so I'd better touch wood that it goes back on as well *eek*

Good luck - Michael.

Just spoke to Chris - what a nice bloke! *thumbup*

Bad news is that they're out of stock 🙆🏻, but he's going to have a root around and see if he can come up with anything that's hiding in the workshop. Well impressed with his attitude (and multitude of free tips) - if first impressions are anything to go by I'd recommend him already!

Bob Stark

Supersprinter

Just checked the manifold with the engine running and, yep, plenty of gases coming out there, then. *eek*

Cheers for the diagnosis, guys *thumbup*- Chris has found 'the last set' and has posted to me so hopefully all will be sorted on Monday.

Bob Stark

Supersprinter