Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting bits for club track days

Tin Man

• Area Representative

I have now received my Luke 4 point harnesses, FIA

roll bar & boot cover. I have the following queries:

1. I have to remove the metal strip in the boot cover is this best done by cutting It just before the stitching?

2. The bolt sizes for fitting the FIA roll bar are different to the assembly guide (ha ha) 25mm for fitting the harness through the boot cover. The bolts are 30mm long with the Luke fixing pack, which do I use.

3. The Luke fixing pack comes with 10mm thick washers, 18mm od one side & 12mm od the other. Where do they go?

4. Do I put washers either side of the boot cover?

5. why don`t Caterham send out drawings showing the fixing details. A drawing is worth a million words to people like me mad.gif

1. Pass. I thought I left mine in, but it was a long time ago.

2. Go with long bolts. I have heard of some race scrutineers taking exception to the bolts not appearing through the bottom of the mounting bush in the chassis.

3. These are bushes which allow the harness mounting to swivel. The order of assembly from the bolt head downward is: Plain washer; curly washer; harness ; stepped bush big end down ; boot cover; car.

4. No.

5. No answer to that one.

1: A small cut as close to the stiching at one end will do the job. I think I put a bit of glue in the cut to stop it opening up if / when the cover got stretched.

2,3,4 Peter's right

5: Tricky really - pretty much as for fitting seatbelt fixings. And once you've done it correctly difficult to see how any other way could be thought right. A lot of engineering is blindingly obvious once you've done it and you can't understand why it's still baffling to others. Perhaps this is what happens at Caterham.

A web-resource of pictures / exploded diagrams for things like this linked from the site would be useful. Bit of knowledge sharing.

Piers

I've just fitted FIA bar and harnesses to my De dion, and had fun. I cut small slit to remove the metal strip, and eventually didn't put it back in as it made bolt length problems worse. I also only put washers on top of the cover for the same reason.

It seems to be fine without the metal strip. You might have fun fitting the lap strap bolts if you have leather adjustable seats like mine, the bolt heads foul the seat when you push it back. I got over the problem by getting some seatbelt bolts from a scrap yard, they had significantly thinner heads.

Yes, any form of instructions would be great!

Best of luck

Mike

What's all this about removing the metal strip ???????

Mark up carefully and then drill through itand the plastic at the same time. Use a slow speed if you have speed selection on your drill. Use of a pillar drill is advisable.

My manual says nothing about it, but then I never have much luck with Caterhams.

If you are worried about it, Jez Coates is your man. He is the technical director at Caterham Cars and is full of sound advice.

Your life depends on those belts so don't mess about.

On my car the bolts fitted fine and ended flush with the bottom of the chassis rail. That was with the metal strip in place.