Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cut dowm windscreen

PACR

Chaps,

I was contemplating Brooklands screens as an alternative to a windscreen but think they look too old fashioned and I'd have to get and RAF flying jacket and handlebar mustache. The JPE plastic jobbies look ok but seem quite a bugger to fit.

So has anyone ever tried using two cut-down windscreen supports with the screen surround at the side and bottom used to fit a piece of flat perspex into as a wind deflector? I reckon it wouldn't be difficult and you could swap back to a proper screen as required. Anyone got an old screen assembly? Or am I mad?

Piers

(Chaps is used in a non-gender specific manner - thought it suited Brooklands screen character)

I beleive there is a Seven owner in Lincolnshire or Leicestershire that has cut a screen in half. the toip edge is "frameless" and I think it looks very neet. I'm investigating the same thing but need to check the regs for rallying.

Tony Boyd

Travellin' Man

Tony Boyd

97,000 miles in 6 years!

I have seen such a cut down screen on car in Germany. It looks very good, just like a full width Brooklands. The wing mirrors are fitted to the top of the side supports and the glass extends a little beyond. There is no top ali surround. I don't know the technical details, quality of glass? bonded-in ? If you're serious I could find out the details.. might take time.

Barry

Nice picture thanks for the publicity, no problems from me regarding copyright of my "crashed seven" if you know what I mean!

See you at the meet this wednesday

PACR

Picture should show you how I did it, just a lot of carefull thought before hacksawing & filing, I used a bit of 3mm perspex cut to the new size because I had it hanging around; one day I will black it out.

The mirrors are some very old caravan extension mirrors picked up from an autojumble.

The whole thing can be replaced with the original screen in a couple of minutes

GOOD LUCK

J.R.

P.S. The reason I did it in the first place (apart from being tight) was I didnt want to put holes in the scuttle for the JPS screen & the fixing blocks looked a bit MFI (thats "made in effing india"!).

Edited by - j.r. on 13 Feb 2001 18:48:39