Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre wear

StewartG

err Toe out??? You should have about 0.5 - 1mm toes on max on the front end.

Even with lashings of neg camber (like 3 or 4 deg) the inside edges do not wear so badly. This is not however true for the rears which do wear significantly on the inside edges if you use 2 deg ears.

Arnie Webb

Organiser- L7C Le Mans Trip

To book for this years Le Mans Trip see The Le Mans Trip Website

It really is very very very very full now!!!

Graham,

I found on my car that there was more feel and less tramlining with things set between parallel and slight toe out.....

Alex, this theory is based on pre-doughnut era driving......

If you drive normally the wear should be pretty even. Track days and very fast road driving will tend to wear the outside edges of the fronts......

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Slow Old Vauxhall wink.gif

Edited by - fast arnie on 10 Feb 2001 17:47:41

In my youth I deliberately adjusted the tracking on that days set of wheels to lots of toe out (couldn't measure it) to see what it would do. .......... wore the front tyres down to the canvass in a mornings driving,You could see all the rubber stuck inside the wheel arches all on the inside of the tyre. Lesson learned, so then I tried lots of toe in.................. My findings were that Lots of toe in and out are equally as frightening. I guess I didn't have enough to do in those days.

Upon reflection and having absorbed the wisdom herein I suspect there's

not too much wrong with my geometry.

I notice on track days it's the outside edges that wear and recent mileage has been on the road and the inside edges look worn.

It's just time for another track day except they all seem to be in foreign countries like Wales at the moment.