Click here if you are having website access problems ×

crap peddly cars

owelly

Is it only me or does anyone else remember those stupid peddly cars that instead of proper pedals, they had those rediculous push/pull things? I spent most of my time goin backwards 'cos I was off my stroke(!). I once drove 3miles backwards. It probly explains why I have a Discovery now....

Or what about the pressed sheet steel Mobo 'Muffin the Mule' *eek* where you had to stand on the footrests which made the legs splay out and the whole thing move forward!

I think mine lasted about 6 months in 1953-4.

Oh happy days 😬

Brent

If i remember, the thing with the springs was a horse. But the push up and down thing was a mule, and was ********* hard work to get it moving.

The push/pull peddly cars were ok, but a bugger when you went down hill. You had to lift your feet of the pedals, cos they went to fast to keep up. I doing that, you lost any brakes. *eek* 😬

Doug,

Su77on Se7ens

See our web site here.

Bugger...... I aint done it yet

Same age as Alex - just had a lot of hand me down toys....and we thought we were lucky etc etc.

As I remember the metal horse was held in place by four springs that were attached to a frame. You sat on the horse rocking it until either you were catapulted off it of got something trapped - I wasn't a bright child.

Which reminds me apparently when I was a toddler I got trapped in a rocking horse - my nappy was too big.

Hey I like these 'ere bike sheds........much more fun than CC 😬 *thumbup*

Anyhow Paul, in those heady less PC days it wasn't frowned upon to trap small animals in that way, nor indeed to pull the legs off 'Daddy Long-Legs'. Not that I was ever found guilty of that, I hasten to add 😬

Brent

😬 Did the dog strangely disappear just before Christmas one year ?

"Who'd like the 3rd leg, tail anyone ?"

"Make sure you don't swallow any claws or teeth"

Supercheese R250

Edited by - paul davis on 29 Jul 2003 12:25:06

Brenty, I certainly remember the horsey / mule thingy, and the other posters are right, the mechanism had a mechanical DIS-advantage, it took far more effort to move that mechaninal monster a few inches than it took to walk several miles.

My kids currently have a Kettcar go-cart which seems to have come from the same design office. The gearing is far too high, so much so that no child without Jeff Capes styleee legs can even get the bugger moving !!

Paul

What you need are hills. Big long hills. I still have a metal horse suspended from the springs type unit in my mams loft. It makes a fab noise.

I don't remember the epileptic mule device. I got a Black & Decker drill for my 10th birthday, then a pack of drill bits 2weeks later for chrimbo. My mam went wappy when, after drilling holes in all the firewood, I drilled holes in the telephone, kitchen cupboards, brothers wellies etc....