Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Looking for First 7 + Advice

Colin Armstrong

I am looking for my first 7. The guidance I have had so far suggests I really want a 1996 or later 130bhp or greater with De dion, cycle wings and weather gear. In fact, I have been looking at just about anything so far.

Any views welcomed on earlier 7's and on pros and cons of x-flow vs other engines - I have had mixed reports of x flows (higher fuel consumption, good reliability, old technology, simple servicing, frequent re-tuning).

Also, any views on the difference between 100ishbhp and 130bhp - how noticeable will it be?

I should be getting along to Caterham soon to do some comparison and ask them the same questions but any guidance from this forum would be very welcome.

Of course, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for the right car - pointers in the right direction greatefully received (I check this site, Autotrader and E&M daily).

*smile*

I'm probably going to give a biased view ....

Xflow are on the whole reliable - there are some issues with Supersprint pistons that are discussed elsewhere. Do not mean to alarm, but the pistons fitted to the 1700cc are marginal and sometimes give problems.

Xflows can be made to give good MPG with 3D ignition and good servicing, yes the carbs do need an occasional fettle, but overall servicing costs for any caterham is quite cheap. Overall the MPG should not be an issue unless you are planning lots of miles.....

There will be quite a big difference between 100 and 130bhp.

Caterham will also give you a biased view as thier job is to flog you a car *wink* And most of their stock is metro engined 😳

At the end of the day it depends on what you can afford, and what you want.

Greg, Q 86 NTM (Green 185BHP XF)

Colin, the most important thing is to do it!

Also, you can never have too much power, only too little.

I would suggest the 2 litre HCP Vx on carbs is a good and reasonable priced second hand Seven - offering an uncomplicated 175 bhp.

I've just sold my wife's 1996 HPC - with 6,000 miles on the clock, this was a seriously good buy.

Have a search on the ienternet in Findit

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

Decide how much you want to spend first. Then add 2k. This will be the amount that you do spend.

Check out Peter Carmichael's MOT emissions run down in either Chit Chat or Tech Talk recently. Getting a newer car isn't necessarily a good idea. Older, kit built ones are less hassle emissions wise which gives you easier MOTs and more performance tuning options (which you *will* want to do one day). I think 96/97 was the break point for this so would be inclined not to go newer if it were me.

Condition is far more important than mileage or age.

From there, drive as many different types of car that fir inside your budget. The differences between engine variants (K-series, XF, Vx, bike engine) are massive both in terms of the character of the engine and the way they handle.

Don't buy a K-series car without a 6-speed box or a well modified 5-spd (the seller will know that it has a modified box and will know why it has one if you ask). In fact, don't buy a K without trying a 6-spd equipped one first.

Superlights are becoming cheap at the moment. And they are supremely good.

Will you notice the difference between 100 and 130bhp. Probably, but it won't necessarily be night and day. And if it comes from two different types of engine there'll be more noticeable differences due to engine character than out and out power (e.g. a 130bhp XF and 130bhp K car will feel very different).

Caterham are a good place to go for your first car, but try and take someone along who knows what they're looking at. They generally have a wider selection of cars to sample, and they usually have better quality stock. But they're a bit pricier than many places and will try and push you towards a particular car...

Colin, I prefer the look of Caterhams to Westfields, that's why I have always owned the former.

There really are loads of cars for sale out there at the moment - crossflows from as little as £6k - 4 speed, short cockpit, live axle & Q reg mind. 1.6ks for £9k - 5 speed high mileage though, or how about a 2002 K for £12,500 - live axle though...or Fireblades for £14,500...or SLRs for £13k (yes really...) or ex racecars road registered for £7k....but equally there are some heavily overpriced cars for sale too.

There aren't a lot of 6 speed Ks about at the moment though and whilst a 6 speed is nice to have, IMHO for your first Seven, a K with a 5 speed 'box is just fine and it's these cars that are in plentiful supply if you check out Findit.co.uk Pistonheads.com, Exchange & Mart, Autotrader & Loot you'll be covering all the bases.

Scuffnut is the perfect individual to take with you - but just make sure you get a ride in his baby first!

Mark traded his first 5spd in for a 6spd not long after he had it...(or was it 12mths - time flies, eh?)

There are lots of std 5spd equipped K-cars about for a reason. If the price reflects the possibility to get the box suitably modified then fair enough...I think 500-1k is what's needed for that. A 6spd will cost an absolute min. of 1500GBP, and that's if you find one under a pile of rocking horse dung.

I'd love to help out looking at cars but I'm buggered time wise these days and never get a spare 5mins (not even to use my cars for God's sake!). Am happy to give more input on what to look for though, and to check the full spec on anything you like the look of.

I'm with Mark on the looks of the Caterham v Westfield. I'll also admit to a degree of badge snobbery I guess, and was prepared to pay the necessary premium for what I consider to be the "real deal". Nothing inherently wrong with Westfields (pre-lit ones even look nice), or any of the other derivatives. But cod roe isn't caviar, no matter how similar they might taste. If you see what I mean.

True - I "traded" my 138 bhp 5 speed for a 190 bhp 6 speed....but the 5 speed is still a nice gearbox if 1st is ignored and as Scuffnut says, rarely do you find a 6 speed 'box on its own for sale. The tricky thing is to avoid paying over the odds for a 5 speed car as there are tons about - and it's a false economy IMHO to buy a 5 speeder and then fit a 6 speed later - unless you do all the work yourself.

I was in the same position as yourself back in April. So much information, so many different opions, etc etc.

I have always wanted a 7 but budget was a big issue for me so I went to the westfield factory. Great staff etc etc and took out an 1800. I was looking for the hairs to stand up and be wowed!! But in my opion it was to ordinary. Next I drove a bike engined one WOW , but not for me as I wanted to go touring as well and I just preffer the Caterham look.

In the end I had to have the Caterham as I just preffered the badge etc and was happy to pay the premium.

Next choice engine, with in my budget was the same xflow, 1.4 or 1.6k, VX. I then found a 2.0lt zetec. The car looked pretty aswell, the owner spent a small fortune on bits and I fell in love with the look and the drive.

I spent ages on the web looking and finally found my one here www.paulstephens.net

Don't discount a zetec, but you might only find them as "Q" plates. I found a great one.

Email me if you need any more info

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Search over - I am now the happy owner of a Vx 2 ltr HPC with SBD fuel injection - allegedly 235bhp. Now I am unlikely ever to check this claim out but it does suck the eyeballs out through the back of my head whenever I give the right hand pedal a prod - who could ask for anything more?

Many thanks to all those who offered advice and views.

I can be seen on fair days pottering quietly (ahem - OK, I admit it is a tad noisey) around the Winchester area of Hampshire - aqua blue, flares, silly grin.

I'm off to check out the next track day...

Colin *biggrin*