Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mirrors and/or immobiliser

kevind

Just about to collect my first 7 (1.8 Zetec) and need a little help from any of you 2old hands" out there:-

1) The car doesn't have an immobilesr and the insurance companies all seem to say "must have Thatcham 2" - guidance as to what, where from, how much would be much appreciated (I wouldn't anticipate a problem fitting it myself if anyone has one going spare - can't imagine why though).

2) Wing mirrors - again don't have them and have driven tip tops for too many years to feel comfortable without them. Same as above; what, where, how much?

Thanks in advance

• Area Representative

Thatcham class 2 immobilisers have to be fitted by an approved installer to qualify for insurance purposes and usually they want to see the installation certificate to provide the discount / cover. IIRC typical fitted price is anything from £70-100 so not a massive amount. They use to be contact style ones where a key is used to physically activate the system and you have 30 seconds or so to start the engine, but now I believe the latest Class 2 units use a plipper to electronically activate the system without physical contact - something to do with wearing out contacts and being unreliable with the old system. Try looking in the Yellow Pages for a local installer

Point of note though is that I had a Vecta immobiliser on my last seven and when declared (i.e not requested!) at my insurance renewals, all said it wasn't necessary at all but that could be because it was a 100 Bhp XFlow Classic. On my current VX 2.0l car, I have got the battery cut-off switch and Eggar Lawson have taken this as being suitable with my removable steering wheel.

Wing mirrors are either on the normal Caterham doors so buy some weather gear if yours hasn't got any (come up for sale on the site every now and again) or buy some mirrors that fit the same windscreen door fittings from Seven Accessories who advertise in the back of Low Flying for around £50. Or put a wanted notice us for them instead.

Looks like you have a picked a decent day to collect your car as the sun is shining..... have a decent first blat *thumbup*

HTH

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

• Area Representative

i thought my system was really playing up just *confused* as I posted a reply to this topic and then checked back in Techtalk (where I thought I was...) and saw my update hadn't happened so I posted it again in Techtalk and now I find the original thread I replied too... ahhhh 😳

Yours confused 😬

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬