Click here if you are having website access problems ×

5 speed box on x flow

Simon Horan

I have just that on my car. It was bought from Caterham as a 'special edition' of the Classic SE in 1996. I believe the gearbox is a Ford MT75. It's not perfect - first gear is way out, meaning standing starts are hard work. When I have the time and money, I'll have the box re-built with more suitable ratios. 5th gear is most useful for cruising. Lots of people would question whether you *need* 5 gears on the x-flow engine - I think you'll find most of the racers keep the 4 speed box. As to whether there is any work involved, I could not find anything different about my car, when I built it, to a regular 1600/4 spd combination.

Regards,

Jonathan

I *believe* there was some degree of chassis harmonization around 96. My understanding is that there used to be wide variations between the L.A. & DeDion chassis up to this point. Around 95-96 some 'coming together' of the designs was achieved, resulting in a sort-of hybrid long cockpit L.A. chassis. Mine certainly has diagonal bracing at the top of the engine compartment which may not have been present before this. The cockpit also no longer conforms to the long/short variations.

My recollections of all this are fairly hay, and the books aren't terribly clear about what, if anything, changed. I would call Caterham. As to a source of boxes, try Redline (01883 346515) or James Whiting (01784 241466), who advertise in Low Flying - they ought to know what fits where.

Jonathan

My 1997 1600 Xflow came as a kit with a Ford Sierra 4x4 5 speed box if that's any help,Whether the chassis/mountings were moded before delivery by Caterham to take this I'm afraid i have no idea. I find the 5 speed useful for cruising (German autobahns etc) but rarely use it when playing.

Kim