Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ankle pain

Phil

I have recently found my ankle to be in pain at the base of the heel only to find a work collegue suffering the same thing and he has just returned from a two week break and it had cleared up but it has started agian after returning to driving his daily transport, Have any of you experienced the same please.

This is my left foot and as the weather is good I have been doing more miles.

Edited by - phil on 26 Jul 2003 19:32:00

Phil,

If the pain is UNDER the heel bone and painful to walk on it may be inflammation in the broad band of tissue that keeps the 'arch' of the foot in shape, where it joins the heel bone. Known as 'plantar fasciitis'. Best way to treat this is with a steroid injection in the tender spot. Alternatives are: 1. Do nothing, chance it may go on its own. 2. Ibuprofen or similar.

If the pain is in the Achilles tendon where it joins the heel bone, and painful on moving the foot up and down, it may be an inflamed Achilles tendon and its sheath. Rest, physio and Ibuprofen may help. Look for any aggravating factors (other than driving your car) to stop.

Malcolm

Word of warning. There is every likelihood that Englishmaninwales is a vet. If he suggests any exercises that involve getting down on your hands and knees, I'd take a rain cheque! *eek*

Who's looking at the Ferrari? Nobody, that's who!

Mild plantar fascitis is often effectively self-treated by achilles stretching exercises and correcting any underlying biomechanical abnormalities (for instance arch support and heel tilt). Do this before anybody attacks your foot with steroid. Most is actually self-limiting too.

See a podiatrist unless your GP is 'foot literate'. this is not a criticism of my colleagues, but I know that is often the case.

Bruce

I used to get same after long drives. Moved the clutch pedal over to left and lowerd it by the the adjusting rod (hydraulic clutch). This leaves room to move your foot and the pain stopped.

Now anyone got suggestions how to stop pain from wife.

norman verona

1989 BDR

There are many reasons why you may have ankle pain. The site is important as it might help with a diagnosis.

What could it be?

Planter fasciitis ( under the heal)

Often felt when geting out of bed in the morning, the eases off. If you do a lot of working will increase pain. Treatment. foot exersices + taping.

referd from the lumber spine.

If you are geting the pain only when you are driving then it could be the position your in. Try bringing your seat forward and see if there is a diffrence. if there is change your peddle position to suit.

Achies Tendonopathy;

normaly along the tendon near the muscle/tendon junction

Treatment; eccentric execises

Heel spur

under the heel and normaly painful on walking.

It difficult to give proper advice without a accurate diagnosis. what would I do? Change your seating postion if it works great if not then go to a chartered physiotherapist and get an assessment. Your Gp could ref: you to the NHS or if you have privite health oyu should be covered.

hope this help

Thanks for all your help. I have a new pair of shoes giving better support and I have started stretching and exercising and taking the weight off of my feet more during the day as per your collective suggestions and so far so good.

This has saved me cutting my legg off and converting my "7" to auto.